2012 4.3 gxi head scratcher

emjk431

Recruit
I'm posting this just in case anyone else has a similar issue. Bought a 2012 four winns h190 (new) with the 4.3 gxi in it. We had a great couple of months with the boat and enjoyed the power that the 4.3 in a 18.5' boat provided. At the end of August my temp gauge would read normal at idle not in gear. As soon as the boat was put in gear and started to move and get up on plain the temp gauge would drop to zero ( bottom out on the gauge). Not being a mechanic also not being totally helpless I checked the thermostat housing and indeed it reach temp and would drop in temp when in gear. I called the dealer and told him what was happening and that it never got hot but something was strange. On two weeks holidays and a very short season here in northern Ontario I was not excited about loosing the boat for the week it would have took to repair. We decided that the boat was not getting hot I would still use it. The gauge continued to fluctuate for the rest of the season. I brought the boat back in for winterizing and the changed out the thermostat and told be it was sticking open allowing raw water to come in under power but would rise to normal at idle. Not sure what to believe I took the boat home and stored it until spring. I put the boat in a month ago and guess what it did the same thing. I called the dealer and the sent a tech out to my house to see it happen first hand. We checked the housing and indeed it was warm at idle and cools off as soon as your under way. He was stumped but decided to take out the thermostat and get an other one. This week the came back out and replaced the thermostat on my lift. Out for other ride and yes it did it again??? He check the sending unit with a multi meter and it worked with in norms. Dash gauge works fine and does what you can feel the thermo housing is doing.
Sorry for the long post but I wanted to see if any of you had a though. The tech left my house and was stumped. The told me as he got into his service truck he would have to call volvo tech department for help.
Thx for reading the long post!!!
Eddie

emjk431

Recruit
Re: 2012 4.3 gxi head scratcher

Update

Just to let anyone who reads this down the road after a long summer it turned out to be a split in two water pump impeller. Apparently the raw water pump would flood the engine with cold dropping the temp when the rpm increased. I have picture should anyone ever need them
Eddie