Transporting a boat with no Transom

Buelskie

Recruit
Guys,

My father and I took on this massive challenge of a 25 foot 1978 Bay liner. This thing is a beast and of course its bad deck lol what deck transom is not bad but it will be replaced. I have lots of pics to just have not put them on the PC yet. So any way I will be here a lot of my free time and I will say sry now for some stupid ? I will be asking. So for my first one.

I need to transport the boat every weekend to my dad house cant stay more than 3 days at a time. So we work on it and when were done I pull it back to storage. I need to know if I can move the boat with transom and stringers removed. The out side glass on the transom is very thick almost half inch. It will have to be moved 15 miles one way road is not to bad.

I guess one good thing about the boat it has a brand-new chev350 in it we pulled the heads and they have never been used brand new. :D

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Transporting a boat with no Transom

I think transporting with stringers removed is a VERY bad idea. Transom MAY be less critical but still might be risky.

Buelskie

Recruit

Thanks for the fast response smokeonthewater would you have an idea on how to move the boat when we start to remove the transom and stringers.

Can I remove transom and may be a foot of the rear stringers and then install new transom and move boat. Then do stringers. This is not a easy project but I am willing to do anything and everything it takes to get this done with my dad he is not doing well these days most likely last father son project. I also heard that if I remove transom and stringers I can strap the boat like taco. Is this a bad idea.

:confused:

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer

you could support the outside of the hull with a strong wooden frame (2x4" or 2x6"). The problem is that the hull will move and/or twist when you take the supporting structure(s) out which is a bad thing to start with as you will never get it back into the original shape. If you then tow it the hull will "jump" on the trailer and that distorts it even more. In short, the framing may be needed anyhow....

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

if you work at it hard and all day, you can get the stringers and transom in 3 days if you have all the supplies at hand. are you going to remove the cap? most boats needing restored don't have much left of the stringers any way, mine just had mulch and wet foam when I towed it home, I would think it would be safer without that weight, it definitely wasn't supporting anything. I think if you have to move it, leave the cap on and use bunks that support the whole bottom to avoid a hook.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

If you don't have a place to work on it from start to finish I suggest finding a different father son project or finding a place to do the project that won't require moving the boat.

Another thought.... what happens after 3 days? does pop's house turn into a pumpkin? Or does the HOA start to gripe.... MAYBE just take a week and get it back together and let em complain..... Give em a plausible explanation IE it broke here in the driveway but I'm working on it day and night and will have it out of here ASAP.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Most storage facilities have covered areas with electric and water available at one or more locations. I've seen much more work than that being done where I keep my boat trailer. Covered storage with electric- $80 month..... but a month or 3 will save you a lot of headaches found by moving it w/o stringers and transom.

Buelskie

Recruit

Thank guys,

Ok well looks like I need to get my shopping list in order. Lol no dad does not turn into a pumpkin just complaining neighbor's. As far as the cap o god no it will stay on. Well the neighbor can complain all he wants the boat will sit there a week if that's what it takes or longer.

This is a project we will not walk away from. We plan on replacing almost everything.

And thx for all the iboaters that are walking me threw this massive challenge