Help with Steering Wheel Removal

runninfarmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I purchased a used steering cable and wheel for my Blue Fin restoration and am having problems with removing the wheel. It doesn't sit on any grooves. There's about an 1/8" of play with it when you go to pull the steering wheel off the column, but it always gets hung up I believe it's hanging up on a single key lip. Has anyone ever encounted a steering wheel such as this? I've searched forums to no avail. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.

IMG_0321[1].jpg

Thanks for any help!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Help with Steering Wheel Removal

Ayuh,.... Put the nut back on,... just Flush with the shaft,....

Sit in the seat, 'n put yer knees under the wheel, 'n Push Off Hard,....
While yer doin' that,... WACK the nut, with a BFHammer,...

The wheel will snap off the shaft, 'n you can continue,...

runninfarmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tried that already with a 2 by 4 and a hammer. Had the nut on and pounded. Maybe I didn't put enough force into it. I also didn't try sitting into it. I'll try it again.

Bondo

Staff member

I tried that already with a 2 by 4 and a hammer. Had the nut on and pounded. Maybe I didn't put enough force into it. I also didn't try sitting into it. I'll try it again.

Ayuh,.... No 2x4, 'n ya gotta use a BFHammer, not a little nail driver,...

1 WACK is all it takes,...

searaynoob

Seaman Apprentice

thats wat she said...lol sorry I have never ran into this problem but just wanted to chim in to bond-o's last comment!!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Some PB Blaster or your favorite rust desolvent and let it sit over night. Put the nut on and BFH it like Bond-o said. You might have to wail on it if it's really stuck tight. The knees and pulling on the wheel is important.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Or you could rent/buy a bearing/pully puller ( 3 arm or 2 arm adjustable ). Worked great for my last wheel removal ;) .

YD.