1995 Force 70 trim *pics*

ljstephens11

Recruit
While out boating, we stopped to take a swim and when I went to start the engine, everything was dead. (Ended up being a bad connection on the battery switch). When we got the boat towed back in we could not manually pull the motor up to tow it home until we loosened one of the bottom nuts on the trim motor. (Where the tube goes into the motor) Now that everything is working electrically, I cannot get the trim to work. The motor runs, but it will not go up. (It will go down slowly) I have tried to refill the fluid as best I can, but the majority of it pours back out and I know that I haven't replaced the same amount of fluid that was lost when we initially pulled it up.

Here are pictures of what I have. I don't think that it is a factory part. I am a mechanical novice, so any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

IMG_20130627_190733.jpgIMG_20130627_190716.jpg

p.s. The pink fluid in the picture is runoff from overflow from the fill cap. It is not leaking there.

foodfisher

Captain
Re: 1995 Force 70 trim *pics*

Fill it. Run it up and down. Fill it again. Let sit. Fill it again. Should be enough.

Jiggz

Captain

You probably need to bleed the unit. Fill it up and then put in the fill cap but do not thread it all the way in or you can also leave it out. I prefer to thread it in about two or three threads just to make sure no dirt gets in. Loosen the fitting nut from the bottom of the trim cylinder but do not disconnect. Loosen just enough to let air escape.

Cycle up the unit and watch until fluid squirts out of the bottom nut fitting. Stop. Now cycle down the unit all the way down until all fluid squirts out of the trim's bottom fitting. Stop and tighten the fitting nut. Check fluid level and fill as required.

Cycle the unit up and down about two times. If it will not go up continue to hold the up button for about 15 secs and then let it go. check the fluid level and fill as required. Cycle again.

Technically, this allows you to bleed the trim cylinder and its bottom tubing. By going up initially you fill the tubing with fluid. However, there is still air at the bottom of the trim cylinder. Now when you cycle all the way down you basically push all the air out of the bottom (it cannot go to the tubing since you already fill it up with fluid). While doing this make sure the fluid level stays normal and the fill cap is left open or loose. Otherwise if the fill cap is tight too much fluid can get pushed to the motor end.

ljstephens11

Recruit

Thank you both so much! Got up early and followed your advice, and now it works like a charm! I was afraid that we were going to miss the beginning of scalloping season until I could get it to the shop. Thanks again! :joyous:

Jiggz

Captain

Great and good on you. Goodluck with the scallops.