12v Power Bubbler on Cranking battery?

miichael18

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got a question about voltage. i have a 12V power bubbler for my bait tank Power Bubbles Aerator | Bass Pro Shops and was wondering will it hurt the bubbler or shorten the life of it to run on the cranking battery which produces 13.6+ volts when the engine is running? didnt know if it would burn the pump up since the pump says 12 V

agallant80

Commander
Re: 12v Power Bubbler on Cranking battery?

It will not hurt it but I would want to know how many amps per hour (amp hour) it uses.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, Just make sure you don't run it down so you can't start your engine.

Splat

Lieutenant

Agreed. 12volt is a generic term to tell you it will run of car/boat battery voltages.

UncleWillie

Captain

No, Just make sure you don't run it down so you can't start your engine.

^^^ That is way more important.

We just call it 12volts to distinguish it from 24v, 48v, or 120/240vAC

Nothing in the Boat/Car/Truck ever sees 12 volts, as in 12.0 volts, with the engine running.
The Alternator/Battery will be above 14 volts most of the time.
A charged battery will settle out to ~12.6 overnight. If it ever get down to 12.0 it is nearly dead.

miichael18

Petty Officer 2nd Class

^^^ That is way more important.

We just call it 12volts to distinguish it from 24v, 48v, or 120/240vAC

Nothing in the Boat/Car/Truck ever sees 12 volts, as in 12.0 volts, with the engine running.
The Alternator/Battery will be above 14 volts most of the time.
A charged battery will settle out to ~12.6 overnight. If it ever get down to 12.0 it is nearly dead.

Ok great i never turn my boat off while trolling for stripers. I have a 2013 60hp 4 stroke mercury and i run my bait tank on cranking battery also while motor is running. if i turn motor off i hook it to my trolling battery. Is it ok to run a 500gph pump all the time while the motor is running?

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Is it ok to run a 500gph pump all the time while the motor is running?

Maybe, maybe not. Check your voltage across the terminals before starting, then again after starting and turning on the pump and anything else you normally run. If the voltage goes up, you're probably good. If not, you may have a problem after a long day ...

miichael18

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is it ok to run a 500gph pump all the time while the motor is running?

Maybe, maybe not. Check your voltage across the terminals before starting, then again after starting and turning on the pump and anything else you normally run. If the voltage goes up, you're probably good. If not, you may have a problem after a long day ...

the voltage has never dropped below 13.4 running everything i got.