1988 Bayliner Capri 1650 Restoration

Poinzey

Cadet
I bought this boat from a friend of mine who had started to restore her but was not prepared for the amount of work it needed. I know I am going to have some questions here and there, so I thought I would get you up to speed on where I am at now in the project.

Brought her home and gave her a bath:

Started by test fitting the windshield and other various pieces that had been removed:

Buillt a cradle:

Gutting the hull:

View forward of the gutting:

Had to throw this one in:

Poinzey

Cadet
Re: 1988 Bayliner Capri 1650 Restoration

New transom setting up:

And glued in:

Setup new stringers:

New stringers bedded with Pl:

Just because:

Gotta get more recent pics uploaded...more to come... :)

Poinzey

Cadet

Continuing on:

Had to move to carport due to rain and heat for laying the new glass:

Laminated transom and added bracing for hooks and swim platform:

Current progress as of 6/27/13:

Poinzey

Cadet

Next steps will be to fillet/tab/skin stringers and get new bulkheads and fuel tank installed.

Does anyone have any pics of the stern under the splashwell for this model?

It was mostly gutted/disintegrated when I got it, so I am not sure how the splashwell was originally framed in. Currently I am planning on two pieces on either side with holes for drainage to the bilge and two vertical pieces under the front of the splashwell, leaving enough room for the battery.

Poinzey

Cadet

Progress has been extremely slow lately due to weather, work, kids, life...:rolleyes: With any luck, I can get the rear floor section in today! :lol:

Here are a few pics of the transom rebuild from the top and rear:

GB333

Seaman Apprentice

I'm enjoying watching your progress!! We are currently working on a 1990 Bayliner Capri 1850, so I feel your pain! ;) Good job and keep it up!

Poinzey

Cadet

Thanks for the support!!! I hope your rebuild is going at least as well, GB. The floor is glued down now, so I get to start the detail work around the splashwell. The worst is almost behind me! I have a feeling the rest will be a lot more fun to put in. :)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You're doing some great work on this boat. I'll be following along.

Poinzey

Cadet

Thanks EZ! Here's a quick update. I've doubled up the kneeboards for strength, and have started adding pb filler to get ready for the tabbing.

Poinzey

Cadet

I have enough resin to get the tabbing done on the starboard side. While waiting for the next shipment, I need to get some more sanding drums for the dremel so I can clean the area where the cap meets the hull around the splashwell. My goal is to make the stern one solid piece and eliminate the gap at the rear. Any need to remove the cap in the future will require the cap to be cut on either side of the splashwell. The rest of the cap/hull joint will be sealed with 5200.

Poinzey

Cadet

Is there such a thing as Pbitis? I remember reading in one of the threads to forget any carpentry skills you may have, and I am finding this entirely true. When I used to do framing, gaps of more than 1/16" was unacceptable, but working on the boat, I find myself saying "Eh...a lil pb will fill that!!!".:facepalm: Or, how about resinitis??? On a good day, I find myself on a 90 minute timer all day long, as in I can get one more layer on...:eek:! All I can say though is that I love US Composites laminating resin!!! That stuff lays up so nice, I swear its addicting!!!:joyous:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Gosh knows the original builders must have had PBitis when they built these things! Or more like "I'll just aim the chopper gun at that mess for a sec and no one will ever see it" :p

RufNutt

Cadet

Looking like you have everything under control and dong some fine work. I noticed the cradle you built. Very good points of contact. I myself don't like to see a boat supported by beams running the length of the hull. It has to force the hull bottom up after stringers are removed. All your contact points are on very strong parts of the boat hull. Myself I just supported mine on the reverse chines on either side at the stern of the boat and one under the keel as far to the bow as possible. No chance in tweaking the boat at all. Again Great Job.

matt167

Captain

Gosh knows the original builders must have had PBitis when they built these things! Or more like "I'll just aim the chopper gun at that mess for a sec and no one will ever see it" :p

I think 'glass boats were never a real money maker and the older they are, the worse they get.. In my Custom Craft, I have a few spots of 40 year old dry fiberglass cloth on the sandwich joint for the cap

matt167

Captain

Looks like great work so far, keep it up and you'll have a really nice Boat.. I always thought that style Capri had a really cool look to it. Even considered buying a couple to restore 1 ( 1986 1700 Capri's, pkg deal 2/$600 ) but ended up turning down the offer due to time

Poinzey

Cadet

Thanks for all the support guys!!! I really couldn't be doing this without this site for sure! It really is a treasure trove of information on boats, and the personal experience of everyone just adds to it. Between Frisco's videos, Woods' diagrams, and Oops' extension, that really helped me get a more complete picture of how fiberglass should be used to construct a boat.:D

Poinzey

Cadet

Looking like you have everything under control and dong some fine work. I noticed the cradle you built. Very good points of contact. I myself don't like to see a boat supported by beams running the length of the hull. It has to force the hull bottom up after stringers are removed. All your contact points are on very strong parts of the boat hull. Myself I just supported mine on the reverse chines on either side at the stern of the boat and one under the keel as far to the bow as possible. No chance in tweaking the boat at all. Again Great Job.
Thanks Ruf! The cradle design came about from the way I had to unload her. I used the trailer method, so constructed the center stern support first, then added where necessary as I walked the trailer and jack out the front. I added the outer supports last as I noticed the hull flexing with only the center ones in place. If I had a way to lift her all at once, I might have gone with the full length beams just to keep the lines straight. Even at only 185#, the bare hull was flexing with me in it a little too much for my liking. Adding the stringers back helped a little, but this hull seems to derive a lot of its strength from the floor tie in.

Poinzey

Cadet

Looks like great work so far, keep it up and you'll have a really nice Boat.. I always thought that style Capri had a really cool look to it. Even considered buying a couple to restore 1 ( 1986 1700 Capri's, pkg deal 2/$600 ) but ended up turning down the offer due to time
Matt, I love the lines of the 80's Capri's. There is just something about them that says sleeeeeeeeeeeek!!!:cool: Every time I see one, I think of that boat in the James Bond flick zippin along and jumpin everything. I hear ya on the time deal. I'm expecting this one to be closer to the 300 hour mark in labor, lol! Luckily, it is almost Zen like once you get the glass flowing!

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Poinzey,
Following your resto... Looks great! I'm in the process of mine as well 88 Maxum, similar build as the bayliner. Question... Did you cut and de-cap the rear? at the splashwell? How did you manage to get the transom replaced with the splashwell in the way?