no idle

kev_alaska

Petty Officer 2nd Class
older Olympic that I picked up last season. everything ran well with the exception of a bit of a hard starter...broke it out this spring and replaced plugs, rotor, cap and wires. It has a Prestolite distributor. Had the quadrajet rebuilt by a good carb shop while it was off the boat. Now it starts much better but won't idle at all. It runs great at everything over 1200 rpm, but when I try to idle it down, it stumbles and quits..... I am going to drag it to the carb shop and have them take a look. Any guesses?

kev_alaska

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: no idle

Point taken Don....
Volvo 5.7 litre, Replacement motor from HITech in Washington Serial number N-1422 which the technical staff there told me equated to the AQ260A. Carburator is a quadrajet 4bbl, Prestolite Marine SAE J1171 Distributor. We cold set the timing via the TDC on cylinder 1, and double checked plug wire orientation and fit.
When we started the boat, it ran well above 1200 RPM, but would immedately stutter and die when we attempted to idle it down. Since my first post, I talked to the carb rep, who lined me out on the low speed circuit of the Quadrajet. I will adjust according to his instructions tonight and see where we are then.

Bondo

Staff member

Point taken Don....
Volvo 5.7 litre, Replacement motor from HITech in Washington Serial number N-1422 which the technical staff there told me equated to the AQ260A. Carburator is a quadrajet 4bbl, Prestolite Marine SAE J1171 Distributor. We cold set the timing via the TDC on cylinder 1, and double checked plug wire orientation and fit.
When we started the boat, it ran well above 1200 RPM, but would immedately stutter and die when we attempted to idle it down. Since my first post, I talked to the carb rep, who lined me out on the low speed circuit of the Quadrajet. I will adjust according to his instructions tonight and see where we are then.

Ayuh,.... My Guess is, yer Right, it's a Carb problem,...

kev_alaska

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Getting very close. Adjusted the low speed idle circuit and reset all the linkages. Part of the problem may have been self induced. I marked all the linkages prior to removing the carb for the rebuild. When i reinstalled it, I put each linkage exactly where it was without taking into consideration where the rebuild may have moved the arm positions. Started from scratch and now have a decent idle and shift speeds. Still a stumble at idle, but at least I have an idle.