Quick start & powerpack problems?

captscoob38

Recruit
I have a 01' 200hp Johnson, I replaced stator, rectifier/regulator, plugs, wires, vro pump & cleaned carbs a while ago and engine has been running great until recently, I noticed the quickstart feature doesnt activate anymore, doesnt have the top rpms like it used to and it seems like its missing in the lower rpm range from about 1500 to 2000. Once I get above 2000 on plane it seems to run normal except I can only get about 4500 rpms when I used to get about 5300. Im curious if these sound like symptoms of a powerpack failing, Ive been doing a lot of reading online and found that the power pack is what activates the quickstart feature by advancing timing which leads me to believe powerpack failure along with the miss in lower rpms. Any advice would highly appreciated.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Quick start & powerpack problems?

I've had several power pack failures over the years on various engines but it was never the Quickstart that failed. That's not to say it can't fail. You can check the Quickstart function with a timing light and an Ohm meter. The procedure is in the manual. The lose of RPM would seem to indicate that one cylinder isn't firing. You can use the timing light on each plug wire to identify the which plug isn't firing.
It may be something as simple as a poor ground connection to the block on one of the coils. Clean the ground strap on the coil and you can also swap the coil to another cylinder to see if the problem moves. If that doesn't fix the problem you will need to check the input to the coil and work your way back from there. CDI has a good troubleshooting guide that you can view online free.
You should also get more than 5300 RPMs at WOT when it's running good. You may not have the right prop for the boat.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

When quick start fails it's normally a power pack or the power coil on the stator.

phoenixgold2100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How would one know if the quick start is working or not? Does the engine rev up when first started? Just wondering I'm not sure if mine is working or not and I don't have a timing light to test it...

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If the mtr temp is less than 105* QS will come on and the mtr will run at a higher idle and have a skip to it. After 105 * it will come on for 10 seconds only. Whether the mtr is hot or cold it will cancel out after 1200 rpm.

phoenixgold2100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

will it come on if the port side temp sensor's tan wire is disconnected? the white wire is still connected. but when I hook up the tan wire my engine goes into slow mode. I'm waiting for a new sensor.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Does sound like a bad sensor telling the pack to go into slow even though it's not overheating.

phoenixgold2100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

But will it still use the quick start in with the tan wire not conntected?

captscoob38

Recruit

I got a new power pack coming, ill update when I get it hooked up. Worst come to worst ill have a spare to keep onboard.

HenryB

Petty Officer 1st Class

The hardest part when dealing with the power pack is getting the cover back in place when you are done. As long as you are going to take it off, under it there is a yellow/red wire with a bayonet connection. If you disconnect the yellow/red wire and the white/black wire from the sensor at the cylinder head (also a bayonet connection) and ground the white/black wire you will have disabled the quick start. The function of quick start is to advance ignition timing, which makes for a quicker engine start. As long as the engine starts it is no longer needed and if engaged at higher rpm?s will cause problems like the ones you describe. So, you can disconnect the feature to see if the effect goes away. If it does go away then the new power pack will come in handy, otherwise you are back to square one (most of us have been there).

captscoob38

Recruit

Well, put the new power pack on and got no results, does the same thing, wondering what else there is that controls the quickstart, can a temp sensor gone bad cause it to not work?

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Quick start is not entirely reliant on the pack. The pack actually sends a signal to the timer which tells the timer to alter timing. This signal is 7 - 12 volts and can be measured. If it is present, and the timing remains unchanged.....the timer is at fault.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

Page 54 of the CDI Troubleshooting guide tells you how to diagnose problems with Quickstart.

captscoob38

Recruit

Thanks for all the help guys, the test looks easy enough on the CDI guide, will post back as soon as I get a chance to test.