is it normal???? for 76 15hp Evinrude

lost_bone

Cadet
i had 76 15 hp evinrude short shaft on 76 Lund S-14 deep v fishing boat

it idle smoothy and pull only 1 time but when i put full speed and i am 300 pound
but it seem not fast? boat is little up is it normal or need work on carb for more idle speed?

Rick.

Captain
Re: is it normal???? for 76 15hp Evinrude

hello, I would first check for spark on both cylinders. These motors run very well on one cylinder but lack top speed when firing on only one cylinder. Best of luck. Rick.

lost_bone

Cadet

hello, I would first check for spark on both cylinders. These motors run very well on one cylinder but lack top speed when firing on only one cylinder. Best of luck. Rick.

if no spark for 1 cylinder then it would be not smoothy but mine is smoothy running just not run power enough.

eavega

Lieutenant

No, it would run seemingly smoothly on one cylinder. Easy test; run your motor in a barrel, and pull one plug wire (use something properly insulated so you don't get shocked). If the motor keeps running with no change, then the cylinder where you pulled the plug is not firing. If the motor cuts out completely, repeat the test on the other cylinder to verify whether the other cylinder is running.

If you isolate a non-running cylinder, then its time to trouble shoot; check spark, compression. Fuel is probably not an issue since those motors only have a single carburetor. Also verify your spark is advancing with the throttle,

Rgds

kfa4303

Banned

+1. I have practically the same motor and it should push you along at +/- 20 mph. However, much of the performance will depend on weight distribution and the shape of the hull. While you can't do much about the hull, you can move your weight around inside the boat to improve the performance. I would suggest a simple tiller extender which will allow you to sit, stand, and move around as needed. I made mine out of a simple piece of PVC help to the tiller using a couple of pipe clamps. It cost less than $3, can be removed in 5 seconds and works like a charm.

fireman57

Captain

short shaft engine on a deep transom spells trouble.