speakers on port side not working, any ideas?

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Went to the boat this evening and plugged in ipod and wanted to listen to music but something didn't sound right. I switched the balance to the left side 2 speakers and nothing, right 2 work fine.

The stereo is a Clarion cms1
I assume that I will have to remove it from the dash and hope a wire is loose or something, any ideas as to why both speakers on one side of boat would go out at same time?

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: speakers on port side not working, any ideas?

I would have to think that since it is 2 speakers, and they both went out at the same time HHHmmmmm
Are they still inoperable in radio mode? If they work while in radio mode, then I would guess I would look at your I-Pod cable that interfaces with the head unit. You could try cleaning with rubbing Alcohol and a Q-Tip. If you can verify the speakers still wont work in any mode, then yes you will have to pull the head unit and verify the speaker connector for that side had not come loose or fallen out. Then there is always the bad thing that could happen, that happened to me in my old 76 Buick I had in the Army many eons ago. On deployment I had it stored and upon my return I got the car out (after dark) and started it and drove off not thinking there was a problem. I went to turn the stereo on, the headlights went out...... Stereo off, lights went back on??????? Upon investigation a family of Rats moved in and had fun chewing the wiring up which created several shorts that all had to be tracked down 1 by 1.
So lets hope vermin have not decided to claim your boat as a new home over the winter.

OK Toon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do you have access under your helm through a side door? Most likely a loose wire. Hopefully your wiring isn't like what I found when I went to change out my head unit - somebody had somehow jumped some of the wires together and then only brought 4 total wires to the head unit for 4 speakers. I ended up cutting all of their jumped crap out and just connected new wires coming from the speakers to the new head unit. Good luck on tracking down your loose wire.

lakegeorge

The speakers don't work in radio mode either. No, there are no rats on board, lol! I'm thinking a loose wire, I just need to find it.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was hoping that since it had a common issue, 2 speakers out at the same time, that it would be an easy I-POD cable input. If it were me I would look at points where the PO may have twistted the wires together and just put some electrical tape to keep them insulated.

lakegeorge

I was hoping that since it had a common issue, 2 speakers out at the same time, that it would be an easy I-POD cable input. If it were me I would look at points where the PO may have twistted the wires together and just put some electrical tape to keep them insulated.

You were right on, it was a cable that I bought to connect the I pod to my Aux plug. Problem solved, YIPEE!

Thanks to all for input.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cool, I know when you are out on the water, you just go to have the tunes sometimes!