1972 starcraft Jupiter restoration ( I know another)

Bkarb

Seaman
Hey everyone

I've decided that since I've read every single thread I think any ways about Jupiter rebuilds on here that I'm ready to start mine or should I say start planning now that being said I know what I am or could be getting into but I'd like to have some experienced help on board

null_zpsd993bc5d.jpg

Here she is

I ve already done the transom and some engine work just so I could get her on the water for the summer

Basically I read Inmotions thread start to finish and I've got to say Jim if you read this (man I'm your biggest fan amazing work and beautiful boat beyond impressed

I'd like to start with a little help from everyone about materials how much of and what I'm gonna be needing so I can start ordering and getting prepared my tear down start date is October 1st
Seems early but it can take some time to find some stuff and get things organized

This rebuild will be somewhat budgeted so bear in mind
Basically it's getting everything done except the transom so that being said

Fire away any help or guide cs is greatly appreciated thank you

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1972 starcraft Jupiter restoration ( I know another)

Ayuh,.... Donno exactly what yer askin', but here's a bump to the top,....

Bkarb

Seaman

Hey bondo thanks for the bump basically I'm looking for a materials list of how much of what I'm going to be needing
Gluvit
I will also be re painting the hull so I'm looking to use the roll method but I'd like to know how much primer and paint ill be needing

What I'd like to put together here is a list of all materials used and approx. amounts in a thread not only to help me out but so there is a list for others that maybe asking the same question
I understand that not everyone has the same boat as I do but being mine is a 16 v I think it's pretty close to what a lot of other boats are common to size
It could be used as a reference basically

Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The last link in my signature should be of some help with your painting questions. You can use Rustoleum, Valspar, Majic, or any Acrylic Enamel Oil Paint with Hardener. They'll all work. Technique is all the same. Let me know if I can help in any way. For your deck Marine Grade Plywood is the Best but...Most of the guys here on the forum are using a Good Grade of Ext. Plywood. Arauco is good if you can find it 23/32" is typically used. Some use the 2 Part pour in foam for flotation other use the Pink/Blue Slab stuff from Lowe's/HomeDepot. Gluvit or Coat-It for coating the rivets in the inside of the boat. JB Weld or PC-11 for patching small holes. Closed End Rivets when and where needed. I'm not a "Tinner" but that's what I've learned from em here on the forum. The "Guru's" will be along to help you out when needed.

Good Luck on your restoration.

HappyBoating2.jpg

Bkarb

Seaman

Hey wog thanks for the info that's exactly what I needed ill be looking into that tonight and over the next few days
My next question is what does everyone think about me having a cracked chine tig welded
null_zps73b10010.jpg

It's only the port side and does not leak in fact nothing in the boat leaks that I can find anyways I'd like to come up with a good solution to this crack and should I worry about it getting worse any info

Thanks everyone

Bondo

Staff member

Hey wog thanks for the info that's exactly what I needed ill be looking into that tonight and over the next few days
My next question is what does everyone think about me having a cracked chine tig welded
null_zps73b10010.jpg

It's only the port side and does not leak in fact nothing in the boat leaks that I can find anyways I'd like to come up with a good solution to this crack and should I worry about it getting worse

Thanks everyone

Ayuh,.... I had to weld mine, a 3/8" aluminum rod was used as a backer, as that's thin tin,...
Dig into the archives, I know I posted a thread on it,...

It WILL get worse,...

It's a fatal flaw in the Starcraft tinnies,...
enough to convince me to go to Glass boats,...
Mine will be scrapped as soon as I get 1 of these Glass boats floatin',...

Bkarb

Seaman

Thanks bondo do you think tig welding it will make for a more perminate fix is this something ill have to worry about my boat breking in half or am I fixing to get sick over nothing ... Will it last the summer ... Now I'm starting to worry a little the sound or any boat and scrap makes bag pipes start going off in my head hopefully we can get my old girl threw this thanks for any help everyone

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks bondo do you think tig welding it will make for a more perminate fix is this something ill have to worry about my boat breking in half or am I fixing to get sick over nothing ... Will it last the summer ... Now I'm starting to worry a little the sound or any boat and scrap makes bag pipes start going off in my head hopefully we can get my old girl threw this thanks for any help everyone

Ayuh,... Like I said,... Go to a Metals Shop, 'n get a length of 3/8" aluminum rod for a backer piece,...
Have yer tig guy burn it in enough to combine the outer skin, 'n the backer rod,..

It's been a few years since mine sunk, 'n My Bud, Danny mig'ed it up for me(My aluminum weldin' Mentor),...
It don't leak, at all,... I coated it with glov-it,...

I just don't "Trust" it anymore,..............at all,....

'n it won't break in 1/2,... the lower hull, below the strake will push up into the hull,...
of course, that opens the side, 'n water pours in,...

Less throttle got me to shore, tryn' to plane made it Waayyy worse,...

Bkarb

Seaman

So yours actually sunk bondo now I'm really afraid of taking it out again I'm guessing this should get fixed now ???

Bondo

Staff member

So yours actually sunk bondo now I'm really afraid of taking it out again I'm guessing this should get fixed now ???

Ayuh,.... Savin' grace was, I made it to the knee deep water, 1st,...:faint2:

Bkarb

Seaman

Ok we'll looks like I start looking for a welding expert tomorrow
This is a kick in the nuts for sure thanks for the info bondo I read threw some others threads I will say tho it looks as if mine has been braced from the inside and I also looked and seen rivets going straight threw the chine kind of pulling it together any thoughts on this you can kinda see one digit in the pic
null_zps73b10010.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Pull the side panel, 'n look at the Inside,....

Maybe yer's is different than mine,... but I doubt it,...

Bkarb

Seaman

I'm hoping ill def. look into it when I get off work

Bkarb

Seaman

Ok it's been a bit but I got an update I did some research inspecting and looking and found that the inside has been braced in my opinion it looks like maybe a warranty repair or repair made by po that had some pretty decent skill I did however decide to mark the crack with a permanent marker and went and gave her a romp checked the cracks and no movement so I sanded it down really good and used some epoxy we use at work on semi tractors ill have to come up with a name but its good stuff anyways filled the crack and let it harden

My thoughts are to sand it smooth and to shape and apply another cote sand again and see how it turns out by summers end if I have no more cracks wamo ill continue with resto
Hope this helps someone
Also a neighbor came and looked at my boat and said starcraft actually had a kit available for repairing this issue which he thinks has been done to my boat I don't know this for fact but sounds plausible anyone know any different
Thanks

Bkarb

Seaman

Gettin a lot of views not much input oh well bump to the top

Bondo

Staff member

Also a neighbor came and looked at my boat and said starcraft actually had a kit available for repairing this issue which he thinks has been done to my boat I don't know this for fact but sounds plausible anyone know any different
Gettin a lot of views not much input oh well bump to the top

Ayuh,.... Waitin' for Pictures of this recall repair,....

Bkarb

Seaman

Hey bondo ill get some here soon for ya

Bkarb

Seaman

Here are a couple quick pics
null_zps1c24a040.jpg

Bkarb

Seaman

And another
null_zps3757433e.jpg

The first pic is of the chine you can see where they put rivets down threw from the top and up from the bottom they are staggered
The second pic if you look at the floor you can see the pieces they put across the chine right next to the seat
What ya think ???