1978 Johnson 70hp 3 cylinder 2 stroke no spark on the bottom 2 cylinders

z28hotrod

Cadet
Hello well to start off this motor has been sitting for quite some time before I got it, its a 1978 70 hp 3 cylinder 2 stroke motor, so when i got it the previous owner told me it needed a water pump because it will heat up after 15 min of running and will stall out and wouldn't run again until it cooled down, so i replaced the pump ( it was Fully in tact still) also replaced the coils , spark plugs and wires every thing seemed to be running fine she starts and idles great then going in reverse she bogs way down and when putting in a forward gear as soon and she engages she bogs out and dies, now i checked the spark and there's only spark on the top cylinder a good strong spark i tested it jumped 7/16" no problem but the bottom two absolutely nothing ? i was told its a bad power box how do i test that ? please any suggestions will help. I have not done the compression test but i'm doing that this afternoon just wanted some feed back if there was any other ideas that might cause this problem thanks in advance for your advice !

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 Johnson 70hp 3 cylinder 2 stroke no spark on the bottom 2 cylinders

Just a guess I would say power pack but go to cdielectronics.com as they have good trouble shooting procedures for electrical probs.

z28hotrod

Cadet

ok ill have to go to that sight and see what they say its just odd how good it runs at and idle before you put it in gear..

boobie

Supreme Mariner

That's a very common problem.

z28hotrod

Cadet

well i was searching on the cdi page but im not sure if i looked past it but i could not find anything for the 3 cylinder 70 hp just the 50-55 and 115-150 2 and 4 cylinders. :confused:

z28hotrod

Cadet

i did check the compression and that was good on all the cylinders 120 psi. i checked it because a lot of the other posts i google and a few guys i pm'd said check it. so if any body has ideas on how to test the power pack please please let me know. thank you in advanced.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

i did check the compression and that was good on all the cylinders 120 psi. i checked it because a lot of the other posts i google and a few guys i pm'd said check it. so if any body has ideas on how to test the power pack please please let me know. thank you in advanced.

good start with the good compression.

try page 35.

z28hotrod

Cadet

awesome thanks that helps alot

z28hotrod

Cadet

I Fixed the issue with the cylinders and the whole losing power under a load it was the power box however now a new problem surfaced she wont shift in to reverse she goes in to drive its really odd i checked the cables and connections are all fine.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

It's good to hear that she's firing on all-3 again!

I recommend starting a new thread for your "shift" issue(s)...and put this thread to bed :thumb: