Bottom Paint prep of old and suggestions for new

GoFastr

Seaman
Looking ahead to the next step after completing my patchwork of the hole punched in the bow by the previous owner seen in another thread, I will be needing to re-paint the bottom of the boat, so I'm starting to load up on info.

The boat has been and will continue to be used in the salt waters of the southern Chesapeake Bay and its southern tributaries/inlets, so the paint definitely has to be of the anti-barnacle variety and other saltwater critters. It will eventually set mostly in the water tied to my dock in the backyard during the summer and will occasionally be trailered out (ramp next to my house) for general maintenance and cleaning. It's sitting on the trailer right now as I run down the list of to-do's prior to it's PMCF (Post Maintenance Check Flight). It currently has an old coat that's not really in bad shape in terms of there are patches of scuffs etc where the paint is missing and likely candidates for the attachment of barnacles.

1. If I'm not mistaken based on some other posts I've searched, I should only have to clean and sand the surface for adherence of the new paint

2. But is there types of paint you can't paint over with other type bottom paints addressing specifically paints used in salt water environments and what's most likely on it now?

3. I have a West Marine 1.5 miles from me. What is a good "economical" paint to use?

4. I will have to do this while on the trailer on the concrete pad alongside the house. Any suggestions on jacking the boat off the trailer to paint the area under the bunks?

Bow bottom.jpgStern bottom.jpg

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Bottom Paint prep of old and suggestions for new

Looks like you basic copper ablative paint. So you are on the right track about prep and sanding. Your repair area might like some barrier coat before getting the copper ablative paint.

for economical, you can probably price shop at west marine. For good you can probably price shop at the other end of the scale. From my experience good is less expensive in the long run than economical.

i usually paint all the areas that I can reach first then jack up the side of the boat to get to the areas supported by the trailer. I use three redundant jacks with 2x6 wood as lifting pads against the hull.

there might be a picture or 2 on my F-242 web site . . .

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Just make sure you have her supported well before you get underneath her. Also wear protective gear. That Bottom paint is NASTY Stuff!!!:eek:

GoFastr

Seaman

What is used as a "barrier" coat?

Nice sight BTW. Interesting projects on the Formula. It's hard to tell in the photo but what are "redundant" jacks? Looks in one photo you have a floor jack and a scissor jack toward the rear.

Ablative? Is the term for flake off...or non-flake off type paint?

GoFastr

Seaman

Just make sure you have her supported well before you get underneath her. Also wear protective gear. That Bottom paint is NASTY Stuff!!!:eek:

Yup, I would definitely make sure that sucker was stable before I went sticking my hand between the bunk and bottom. I wear a respirator mask and safety goggles.

BTW separate post because it's a separate topic. I have one on the bottom patch and another about the motor. I'm sure I'll have others as I progress along and make new discoveries.

tpenfield

Staff member

Ablative bottom paint slowly wears away so that it is always providing a fresh coat of high toxins for the sea life to choke on.

Here is my redundant jacks that I used on the F-242 . . you got your yellow jack, red jack and black jack . . . It is a good idea to space them out so that if any one of them fails, the boat will remain stable. If 2 of them fail at the same time, just hope it is the outer ones, so you will have enough time to run before the center one collapses.
jackedup1.jpg

I never actually stuck my hand down in the area between the hull and the bunks . . . always used a long reach handle for the sanding pad and paint roller. I figured with Murphy's law, if I did stick my hand down there, it would be the one time when all 3 jacks failed simultaneously. :eek:

I'm sure other folks may have some different methods of partially lifting the boat for bottom paint. The ones that are still here to tell about it probably have the better methods :thumb: