Elgin 40 HP Lower unit ?

toddxian

Cadet
I have A 1962/61 Elgin Model 40,motor Ser # 2916 The Plate on the motor is wiped clean. The boat Model # 62140. Ser # AT24R1287 I believe it is a Attwater or Mcclloch 40 HP it looks like most parts are inner changeable.

I belive it is water cooled it does not flow to the water tube?

My first question is where is the impeller and where can I get one?

How Do I change it?

I have been out The boat does not seem to hit plain?

Motor runs starts like a gem. at full throttle it seems that the Load is not all there? (Not A spun Prop Been there done that)

I have Found a lower end If I swap out Lower ends will it help with the load issue and the water cooling issues?

All Info is Highly Appreciated

Thank You T C

Attachments

• Picture 085.jpg
    Picture 085.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Elgin 40 HP Lower unit ?

McCulloch bought out the Scott Atwater company, so it was renamed Scott McCulloch for awhile, then simply McCulloch. Whatever, that is who made your motor for Sears.

Yes it is water cooled. A water spray should blow out the exhaust relief on the rear of the midsection.

I think your water pump is directly above the lower unit gearcase. Remove the lower unit to access it. Earlier models were below the powerhead. If I had a picture of the side view of the motor, I could tell for sure.

If it lacks power, the first thing you should do is make sure it is running on both cylinders. Second thing is make sure the throttle is opening all the way. The both cylinders issue is extremely common. Every outboard mechanic hears the story every day.

Forgive me for asking but........Why in the world would you consider changing out the lower unit for a water pump?

Impellers at Water Pump Impellers

toddxian

Cadet
Re: Elgin 40 HP Lower unit ?

Thanks F R I do have a water spray out of the mid section exhaust. I disconnected the spark plug wire's with the top one there is no change in the Idle or Mid throttle. Who thunk I performed a compression check Top read 125 bottom read 121. Will read the coils when I get my Multi Meter back tonight from my Dad. My Lower unit leaks Oil If I needed to change Impellers was my thinking or lack there of. It needs seals. but not to bad yet? I'm New to Outboard field. Sailed Catamarans and Carriers CV-41 CV-64 CVN-65 CVN-72 Retired from the Flat tops. This is fun too.