Can you run WOT at the ramp to adjust running timing?

sbklf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Seems it would be quite messy. I know better than to float the boat but is that how most people adjust the running timing or do they time it while going 50 across the lake with the cowl off? Kevin

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can you run WOT at the ramp to adjust running timing?

You don't need to run the boat to set the timing, you can do that out of the water. You need to run the boat to adjust the carbs. Get it close (per the link n sync instructions) and then once it's on the water, make small changes until you get a good hole shot.

sbklf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Can you run WOT at the ramp to adjust running timing?

Seems the manual suggests to check the timing while running to confirm the setting. I did the link and sync and a static timing adjustment per the book, if the engine advances too much can that damage it?

I also adjusted the idle air screws out per the book and put the little plastic limit stops back on the screws. I read another post that talked about adjusting for the hole shot. Will the engine stumble with adjustment on each of the six screws?

You don't need to run the boat to set the timing, you can do that out of the water. You need to run the boat to adjust the carbs. Get it close (per the link n sync instructions) and then once it's on the water, make small changes until you get a good hole shot.