Starter 1996 3.0LX

I just received an aftermarket starter for my 96 3.0LX. It came with a shim and nose gasket. The old one did not have gasket or shim when I puled it from the boat--do I need to install them with the starter?

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Starter 1996 3.0LX

Haven't seen a nose gasket for a starter so I'll opt out of it. As for the shim, how does the old starter look in the teeth area. Are there any signs that the teeth where going to deep into the flywheel teeth? Signs that metal was being damaged from use. If this is the case and the shim should be used to move the starter the distance of the shim away from the flywheel. If there is no signs or damage you prbably don't need it, that is "if you have received the same model starter. To make sure and this is more work; Install the starter, use it a few times and unbolt and have a look.

Thanks for the info---I installed the starter today and used the front gasket, apparently it is to keep water out of the flywheel area. As for the shim, I did not use it and there was not grinding noise and the engine turned over fine; however, the starter sounds different then the old one for some reason-- maybe because it is a high torque one??? Not sure. I will take it out and inspect the teeth. Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member

Does anybody know if these aftermarket starters sound differently?

There could be slight differences in sound so I wouldn't worry so much about it so long as it does the job, is a marine starter and isn't messing something up.

You said aftermarket starter, it was a Marine Starter you installed right? If it wasn't you installed a bom which could go off later.

Bondo

Staff member

Does anybody know if these aftermarket starters sound differently?

Ayuh,.... Donno,... We don't know what ya bought,...

Try it with the shim, 'n see if it sounds different,...

wolthuis.aspx.jpgIt was the DB electrical aftermarket marine starter for $54.00, and yes I will try the shim to see if it sounds different. Photos attached.
Thanks for the help--I will post the results tomorrow. Oh, by the way, I made a bracket for it--I don't really like "left drilling" out broken bolts from the block!

Attachments

• 41PaV+6kGML._SX385_.jpg
    41PaV+6kGML._SX385_.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 0

Starter working fine and sounds different since I took off the front gasket. It looks like it is engaging the ring gear about half way on the teeth. Now tomorrow we test the rebuild carb (from my other post) on the water.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

DB is one of the cheapest aftermarket offshore parts you can buy. Buyer beware.