2004 F-150 5.4L 3V Engine Knock

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
I have owned since new and have 155400 miles on it. I lost oil pressure at 153750 miles and had the engine rebuilt by a reputable shop. Since I have gotten it out after rebuild, it has a knock or rattle on cold start. The shop has had it twice now and is unsure what is causing the noise. They get it back again today to try and troubleshoot and repair. I got it back a month ago, and since then the shop has had it another 2 and a half weeks.

Does anyone have some idea or suggestions on what i can tell the shop to do as a rental car is expensive.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2004 F-150 5.4L 3V Engine Knock

What does your receipt or warranty say? I would be surprised if they would cover rentals and such, I bet it's just the work they did, and maybe for a defined period of time. You could always ask they if they have a vehicle to use while yours is being looked at, but usually that kind of stuff only came with new car purchase and even then, it's not always a given. Hope they can figure out what the problem is for you.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer

Warranty only covers the work, no rentals no inconvience, no loss of business. The main issue I have, is they did not want to open it back up unless and until they knew what the issue is. WIth it only knocking on a cold start, it takes hours between starts to troubleshoot.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

If you don't ask them they wont just offer it up, maybe you already have. Some times if you know the place well enough they will keep a beater around for just this purpose.
Worse case you have noted to them of the issue and have it documented. I have seen situations where the motor just does this till it gets oil to the needed places, but if it craps out after the last day of a 90 day warranty, at least you have some form of documentation and maybe an agreement to cover the issue. I don't think they could diagnosis it w/o opening it up, but I'm not a car mechanic. Do other 5.4's knock on a cold start?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Do other 5.4's knock on a cold start?

Yes, right at start up but smoothes out almost immediately. My '05 Expy has done it as long as I can remember, and from what I've read it's very common.

slag

Chief Petty Officer

Does it have something to do with oil pressure to the cam phasers? I seem to recall something about this.

Check out Ford TSB 06-19-8

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Does it have something to do with oil pressure to the cam phasers? I seem to recall something about this.

Check out Ford TSB 06-19-8

Yeah, that's it slag. It's a noisy engine.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Did they replace the cam phasers? If not, that is probably it.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Did they replace the cam phasers? If not, that is probably it.

Yeah, that's the resolution contained in the bulletin. I've been assured by several techs it's nothing to be concerned about, and thus far with over four years and 97k miles that's proven to be the case. Most everyone agrees it's merely an annoyance, but I probably wouldn't settle for it under warranty. Mine's well out of course. I'd suggest having your guy read the bulletin.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer

Right now the shop has the truck and has opened up the engine. They are going to swap the phasers, the solenoids, and the chain tensioners since it appears that one of the above is bleeding down when sitting for a few hours. This truck has never had a knock or rattle in the engine until it lost oil pressure at 70 mph. Now it is simply a hurry up and wait moment for me.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer

The end is here, The left bank phaser which was new when installed 3 weeks ago was bad and losing its oil prime as well as the right bank timing chain tensioner. Both were replaced and the knock is now gone. The shop ultimately paid for 1/2 the rental this last time which was better than i expected.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Actually, this should be 100% their responsibility, I have dealt with these tensioner's on my Explorer and it is imperative that they work correctly, that chain slapping even for a couple of seconds does damage to the timing chain system.