Another Keel repair... gelcoat?

chrisf695

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2012-09-21_19-22-21_379.jpg

So this is what the damage is... whats your guys take on repairing this job? From what I understand from what i know...

Sand it, clean it, apply gel, wet sand it, buff it?

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Re: Another Keel repair... gelcoat?

I would add fairing to the process after "sand it" PB can be used as a fairing compound. I would also make "clean it" more repetitive :)

chrisf695

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would add fairing to the process after "sand it" PB can be used as a fairing compound. I would also make "clean it" more repetitive :)

Thanks for the response.

Whats fairing and PB...? Ill use acetone for the clean it stage... =)

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

PB is "Peanut Butter" a mixture of Fiberglass strands, Resin & Hardener and Cab-o-sil to thicken the mixture into the consistency of peanut butter. I have to agree that something would need to be added to the damaged area besides gel coat.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Not sure where you're located but if you can get some Cabosil and chopped strand mat locally then mix up a cup of Polyester resin 1 1/2 cups of the Cabosil and cut up some of the CSM mat into really small 1/4" chunks add the appropriate amount of hardener and mix it all together until it's the thickness of creamy Peanut Butter then use a plastic putty knife to form it into place AFTER you have used a Dremel tool to grind out the damaged area and then washed it all down really well with Acetone. Once the PB has cured (1-2 hrs) Sand and shape the keel and then mix up some Gelcoat paste to fill in any low spots etc then sand and polish it it. Gelcoat won't match perfectly but will be pretty close.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

View attachment 200316

So this is what the damage is... whats your guys take on repairing this job? From what I understand from what i know...

Sand it, clean it, apply gel, wet sand it, buff it?

Hello Chris and welcome to Iboats :) ..

It really does not look all that bad. Im sure it looks bigger in the pic than in real life.

If this is a DIY repair .. then I would suggest ..

1. Scuff with some 36 or 40 grit.
2. Acetone wipe.
3. Fill with some kind of putty ( being so small of a repair I dont think you need to buy all the resin,cabosi,glass etc IMHO ). If your going to be putting on gelcoat .. then you might just get away with asking your local boat guy for a splash of cabosil to mix with your gel to make your own putty
4. Sand smooth.
5. Sand/Scuff the area to be sprayed with a scotch bright ( for this area you will be better off using a scotch bright because you have so many other beach rash marks you will never get those out scratches without some serious sanding .. ).
6. Acetone wipe.
7. Mix your gelcoat and spray with a preval sprayer ( no air compressor involved ).
8. Sand and buff on your own time. You dont need to sand and buff right away .. you can leave it or sand and buff later. Dont try to get those other beach rash scratches out .. you might Burn through the gel .. just good enough to make it look good enough for you :) .

Done.

Hope this helps.

YD.

chrisf695

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the respones fellas... great feedback!

A buddy of mine has a fiberglass guy who said he would take care of it for 100 bucks and would come out to my house and fix it... and he will include some other gelcoat chips i have on the upper deck by my windshield. He will also show me how to do the whole process so I wouldn't have to hire anyone for these repairs again. To me thats worth a 100 bucks... its getting done right, getting my some extra chips done and learning a thing or two.
2012-08-28_19-55-04_81.jpg2012-08-28_19-54-54_453.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd say that's a Great Deal. Repair and Teaching! You're not going to do any better than that!!! Now... You need to take pics, and videos, and then return to the forum and "Share the Knowledge"!!!!!:D

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the respones fellas... great feedback!

A buddy of mine has a fiberglass guy who said he would take care of it for 100 bucks and would come out to my house and fix it... and he will include some other gelcoat chips i have on the upper deck by my windshield. He will also show me how to do the whole process so I wouldn't have to hire anyone for these repairs again. To me thats worth a 100 bucks... its getting done right, getting my some extra chips done and learning a thing or two.
View attachment 200442View attachment 200443

I hope he is as generous as it sounds ..

Be Wise about the $100.00 fixer .. he could be legit .. or he could be a hack.

Its at least a 2 day repair.

Just an FYI .. Im NOT saying this glass guy is a hack. I would do such a repair for 100 bucks .. but not the other things. Well. .. not on location . Gas would have to be considered.

YD.