1982 long shaft (70 hp) stalling out. bad gas? bad gas line? video included

irish1985

Seaman
Today my 82 mercury long shaft/electric start stalled out while on the lake. It's a 70 hp. It was the first time I've taken it out in a couple of weeks, which makes me wonder if it's bad gas? The gas was originally bought 3+ weeks ago. It seems like it could also potentially be the fuel line? Since it would only start back up when pumping the gas line/bulb, and then would need to be re-pumped immediately after it stalled in order to start again, makes me think that possibly it's not getting a steady flow of fuel? Just ideas, I don't know a lot about motors and perhaps this is just wishful thinking as I dread the thought of doing any engine work.

What's strange is when I first took it out today, it ran mint. Literally turned over on the first try. I let it warm up for 10 minutes or so, and then ran it for another 10 minutes or so at idle speed through the channel that I live on, out toward the lake.. when I hit the lake, I ran it for about 5 minutes straight at full speed, cruising around with no issues at all. Then I turned off the engine for 10 minutes or so, took a swim out in the middle of the lake, and the problems started when I tried to head home. As you will see in the first video below, at first it would go for a minute or so at idle/slow speed before stalling. Eventually it stopped doing that all together and would stall after 1-2 seconds. I had to paddle the last quarter mile or so home with my tail between my legs (of course, as college kids in their parents 80k yachts cruised by). The stall is around the 2:25 mark:

at 0:30 when i mention "giving it gas" i am referring to the throttle at that particular moment and not the bulb on the fuel line. no clue if this is the "proper method" to getting it started, but it seemed to always start quickly/get me around last season without a problem! one more video in my next post (only allowing me to do 1 at a time)

any ideas before i pay a mechanic to look at it? thanks.

irish1985

Seaman
Re: 1982 long shaft (70 hp) stalling out. bad gas? bad gas line? video included

this first video above is the motor stalling while going pretty slow (took about a minute for it to stall). this next video below is when I tried going at full throttle (takes about 3 seconds to stall). the stall is around the 1:00 mark:

thanks

smittylv1

Seaman Apprentice

My 70HP Blue Band had a similar problem...if primer bulb goes flat then look for a restriction in the fuel tank. Mine had a plugged filter screen in the dip tube caused by ethanol phase separation (fuel gel). I trashed the screen and added an inline filter. All fuel lines and pump diaphragm should be replaced if they are old.

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fuel tank vent open or blocked? It's obviously starved for gas. Airlocks, weak fuel pumps, blockages...

irish1985

Seaman

i replaced the fuel line and the issue seems to be resolved. thanks for your input guys