merc 9.9 2 stroke problem

usmarkos

Cadet
Having problems keeping my outboard running. I have changed the plugs and installed new fuel filter. The engine starts up idles fine when you put it in gear it goes about 20 feet and just sputters out. I also put fresh gas and put a fuel additive in but it does not seem to want to run in gear.

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: merc 9.9 2 stroke problem

As a quick test before tearing anything apart,you could try again keeping a hand on the primer bulb and as soon as it starts to "sputter", keep squeezing the bulb and see if the engine keeps running.
Let us know what you find.

Gerry

usmarkos

Cadet

As a quick test before tearing anything apart,you could try again keeping a hand on the primer bulb and as soon as it starts to "sputter", keep squeezing the bulb and see if the engine keeps running.
Let us know what you find.

Gerry
I will try it this weekend weather pending and I will let you know. If the engine keeps running while squeezing the bulb I will replace hose bulb and all. Hope this is it

carholme

Rear Admiral

Actually, if it keeps running, it will more than likely be the fuel pump. Let us know what you find as well as the s/n of your engine.

Gerry

usmarkos

Cadet

Finally got the outboard out and I tried doing what was suggested above with the primer bulb and the engine continues to stall after it runs for a few seconds while squeezing the primer bulb. Any other suggestions?

carholme

Rear Admiral

Can you provide your engine s/n as asked for in post # 4?

Gerry

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

You can try running some sea foam thought it.