Conflicting information:Identifying engine and belt

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer
So, in the process learning and performing my own maintenance (by necessity) on my relatively recently purchased Maxum 2300, Ive come across a few details in regard to the engine and parts that do not seem to make sense.

I originally thought both hull and motor were 2002 and Ive verified the hull with the title but a couple of things lead me to believe the engine may be older. A few people here have hinted that they cannot answer some of my queries without knowing for certain the engine's year and model and req'd pictures, which I eventually supplied, but no new diagnoses were made based on them so I am starting a new thread. I have gone to the "Adults Only" and FAQ sections to determine this myself but to no avail, (the serial # pdf only goes to 1975).

So, here is what I have (see pics) for info from the flame arrester (assuming its the one that came with the engine its mounted on) and also some pics of the layout. My sales receipt states its a 5.0L Alpha II.

Although the picture is funny, Ive concluded the serpentine belt is Mercruiser 57-863876-4. However, when I look at application charts such as these:
Mercruiser Serpentine Belt Application Chart
Mercruiser Serp Belts | Marine & Boat Parts
the year and/or foot notes do not seem to jive with the serial number of the engine.

So...I'm hoping to learn from this forum, the year/specs on my engine and the serpentine belt # and a cross ref with Gates belt.

Thanks, in advance.
Randy

Attachments

• IMG_5702.jpg
    IMG_5702.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5715A.jpg
    IMG_5715A.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1113.jpg
    IMG_1113.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 4

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Conflicting information:Identifying engine and belt

In going to the Merc. site link and entering 0m333475 it shows being a 1998 5.0 Alpha engine which matches what you think.
https://webapps.brunswick.com/literature/literatureSearch.do

Then select the "Alternator and Bracket(Delco)" in the drop down box and you'll see one of the part numbers for the belt(#33) is the one in your picture and the right hand column does show being for an Alpha with Power Steering which is what you have. Just doesn't make sense by the middle column shows "Closed Cooling" when obviously you don't have that but maybe that's just a generic entry.

Mark

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

For SN: 0M333475 ( I think that's what pic shows) I see belt part selection 33, belt part number 863876 3 for 1998 5.0 / Alpha or Bravo / Power Steering / closed cooling (which you do have). Use a replacement that is the same as what's on there now (can't read the numbers).

The belt number 57-863876-4 does show it works on the 4.3 V6 and 5.0 V8 2000-2004

BUT, that is in no way a sure thing that:

1. Engine is origional
2. Air cleaner is origional w/ correct SN:
3. Someone didn't swap over all the pulleys and such of the 2002 engine onto an older engine, causing the newer 2002 belt to be needed on an older engine

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

For SN: 0M333475 ( I think that's what pic shows) I see belt part selection 33, belt part number 863876 3 for 1998 5.0 / Alpha or Bravo / Power Steering / closed cooling (which you do have). Use a replacement that is the same as what's on there now (can't read the numbers).

The belt number 57-863876-4 does show it works on the 4.3 V6 and 5.0 V8 2000-2004

BUT, that is in no way a sure thing that:

1. Engine is origional
2. Air cleaner is origional w/ correct SN:
3. Someone didn't swap over all the pulleys and such of the 2002 engine onto an older engine, causing the newer 2002 belt to be needed on an older engine

So I think that may be where the problem lay: The air filter doesn't match the engine unless this engine has been replaced from a 2002 to a 98 but even that doesnt make complete sense since the the current belt that is on it is 57-863876-4 which is a totally different length than the one that ends in 3. See how this is confusing for me?
There should be a stamped serial number on the engine somewhere that will answer everything, no?

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

In going to the Merc. site link and entering 0m333475 it shows being a 1998 5.0 Alpha engine which matches what you think.

Then select the "Alternator and Bracket(Delco)" in the drop down box and you'll see one of the part numbers for the belt(#33) is the one in your picture and the right hand column does show being for an Alpha with Power Steering which is what you have. Just doesn't make sense by the middle column shows "Closed Cooling" when obviously you don't have that but maybe that's just a generic entry.

Mark

I must be doing something wrong as when I go to that link you provided, any serial I type in return a 5.0L Alpha with no year.

500dollar744ti

Your picture is too blurry to read the number on the belt but that 6PK**** number on the belt is the standard rib/length identifying number. You can take that to a local auto parts store and they should be able to get you one for cheaper than a marine parts supplier.

It looks like it says 6PK1938 but I can't be sure, whatever that number is, take it to the auto parts store and they can match you up a belt.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

ok.. Here's the good information... That belt is the same as used by my engine... I replaced my super expensive Merc genuine belt with a good quality (not Merc expensive) belt.... The number you need is 6PK1930. It's EXACTLY the same as my Merc genuine belt...

04fxdwgi

Like I mentioned, someone could have swapped all the 2002 stuff over to the '98 engine, making it use the 2002 belt.

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

ok.. Here's the good information... That belt is the same as used by my engine... I replaced my super expensive Merc genuine belt with a good quality (not Merc expensive) belt.... The number you need is 6PK1930. It's EXACTLY the same as my Merc genuine belt...

Thanks. I'll grab one of these (and check out the engine serial next time I am out there to see if I DID pay for a newer engine).

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

I'm on my boat today and used a little snake camera to check the ID Plate near the starter. Here is what it displayed :
102 ZB
M111050138
and
Could somebody identify the year etc of this engine? Thanks.

Fun Times

Staff member

So, here is what I have (see pics) for info from the flame arrester (assuming its the one that came with the engine its mounted on) and also some pics of the layout. My sales receipt states its a 5.0L Alpha II.
Hi there, Your serial number on the flame arrestor 0M333475 would of been Model number 4M11035PS MERCRUISER 5.0L ALPHA Manufacture Date: 12/04/2001.
Drive# 0M407084 Model # 5121300LS MERCRUISER ALPHA 1.62:1
Transom # 0M296092 Model # 6111001LS MERCRUISER ALPHA TRANSOM when registered new with Mercruiser.

Ive concluded the serpentine belt is Mercruiser 57-863876-4. However, when I look at application charts such as these:
Mercruiser Serpentine Belt Application Chart
Mercruiser Serp Belts | Marine & Boat Parts
the year and/or foot notes do not seem to jive with the serial number of the engine.
I can see where the second link down can be confusing because it doesn't even have an option for the standard cooling system, only closed cooling.:facepalm: I'd recommend using this website to at the very least obtain your part numbers, http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...&bnbr=30&bdesc=Alternator+And+Brackets(Delco)
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectSerailRange.asp?doc_nbr=5.0L++(2+BBL.)++++GM+305+V-8++1998-2001

So yes you would need old part number 57-863876-4 that is now 57-865615Q04 BELT, Serpentine, Standard Cooling.

For SN: 0M333475, I see belt part selection 33, belt part number 863876 3 for 1998 5.0 / Alpha or Bravo / Power Steering / closed cooling (which you do have). Use a replacement that is the same as what's on there now (can't read the numbers).
Though he does have a closed cooling system, his photos shows that he is not using an engine mounted water pump. He is getting his water supply from the alpha drive impeller. Since he's not using an engine mounted water pump, he would be considered using the standard cooling system there for needing the new number 57-865615Q04. If he had the engine mounted water pump he would need the 57-8638763 part number.

So...I'm hoping to learn from this forum, the year/specs on my engine and the serpentine belt # and a cross ref with Gates belt.
achris is pretty good at finding cross reference numbers due to in a lot of cases, he's been there done that already. 57-863876-4 that is now 57-865615Q04 = 6PK1930 in aftermarket.

Hi Mark, FYI for you in the future, when using the brunswick.com site to obtain the engine year, it is only accurate up to early 1998 for stern drives while Merc outboards are accurate up to 2006, Anything thing past them years or if you see an M after the 1998 like this, (MERCRUISER - (5.0L H.P. (1998M )) Serial No: 0M333475 Model No: 4M11035PS) That is an indication that merc stopped using "model years" to find parts etc. etc. and the only accurate way to find parts using that site (brunswick.com) is either run the serial number in the brunswick.com link or find your serial number range like in the link I recommended above. For finding the year of engines, The brunswick.com link is only good for some engine models that are from 1980 to either 98 or 06 depending on what you have. Also, Those are original part numbers within the brunswick.com link, they do not superseded like you see in the link I recommended above. To quickly look up the original number for a new number, you're best bet would be to input the old number from brunswick.com into this link, Mercruiser by Mercury Marine part lookup (as the owner of this link/website also named Mark:) is pretty good at keeping it up to date with Mercruiser.:) Also, No I am not affiliated with the owner in any way, I just know of his reputation in the marine industry as being a pretty good guy that's been around awhile is all that I would trust.:)

Then select the "Alternator and Bracket(Delco)" in the drop down box and you'll see one of the part numbers for the belt(#33) is the one in your picture and the right hand column does show being for an Alpha with Power Steering which is what you have. Just doesn't make sense by the middle column shows "Closed Cooling" when obviously you don't have that but maybe that's just a generic entry..Mark
On the contrary, He does have an closed cooling system, but he is not using an engine mounted water pump so again he would be in need of a standard cooling belt.

So I think that may be where the problem lay: The air filter doesn't match the engine unless this engine has been replaced from a 2002 to a 98 but even that doesnt make complete sense since the the current belt that is on it is 57-863876-4 which is a totally different length than the one that ends in 3. See how this is confusing for me?
There should be a stamped serial number on the engine somewhere that will answer everything, no?
Yes if it is a standard Mercruiser engine block, then you should see a metal tag riveted on to the starboard side of the engine block just above the engine starter with numbers that looks similar to the flame arrestor.

I believe the reason you may be confused between the 57-863876-4 number and the one that ends in 3 is due to you know you have a closed cooling system but you have a standard cooling system belt. And again those two links you provided really didn't help you all that much.

I must be doing something wrong as when I go to that link you provided, any serial I type in return a 5.0L Alpha with no year.
If you input your serial number in Marks link, and click on part number 816596 98 - 5.0L/5.7L ALPHA/BRAVO GEN+ it would open up and you would see your parts catalog, a year of the engine that don't mean much in your case, a model number, etc. etc.

I'm on my boat today and used a little snake camera to check the ID Plate near the starter. Here is what it displayed :
102 ZB
M111050138
and
Could somebody identify the year etc of this engine? Thanks.
Here's where it gets interesting, If this is actually a Mercruiser block of any kind, and you found the numbers on the metal tag riveted just above the engine starter then those two numbers would not be your typical engine serial number. So it could be an aftermarket engine block or it could be and kind of looks like a remanufactured engine block serial number from Mercruiser. If it is a Mercruiser Re-man serial number then the number is not going to be verifiable by any old regular Mercruiser dealer, you are going to have to go right to the source and call or email Mercruiser customer support with the 93439612 number to see if they have any recorder of it at 1 (920) 929-5040. Contact Us | Mercury Marine

If calling Mercruiser does not help then here is another way that may help you pin down the year of the engine block,

http://www.marinemechanic.com/merc/distributors/mercurymarine/sterndrive/gmblockcodes.PDF

Hope this helps, Good luck.:)