Plug in the upper part of the vertical drive on a 1977 OMC 175hp

SeriiVolk

Recruit
So I have a 1977 Reinell 6M with a 175hp 8 cylinder OMC stern drive, and the vertical drive has this drain type of plug right in the back of it and i cant seem to figure out what its for, i have the manual but its not being too helpfull, any ideas?
062513113657.jpg

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Plug in the upper part of the vertical drive on a 1977 OMC 175hp

I guess someone saw a hole and plugged it... it should be left open. The engine might start a bit easier with it out - it relieves a bit of exhaust back pressure when not on plane.

SeriiVolk

Recruit

I guess someone saw a hole and plugged it... it should be left open. The engine might start a bit easier with it out - it relieves a bit of exhaust back pressure when not on plane.

So do i keep it open when running it in the water? Cause i finally finished repairing the engine and put in the water to check the water pump(just backed it in with the trailer, didn't even take it off the trailer) and noticed that the plug was leaking air bubbles so wasn't sure if it's supposed to be plugged or not...

southkogs

Staff member

So do i keep it open when running it in the water? Cause i finally finished repairing the engine and put in the water to check the water pump(just backed it in with the trailer, didn't even take it off the trailer) and noticed that the plug was leaking air bubbles so wasn't sure if it's supposed to be plugged or not...
The plug can come out and never go back in ... that hole never gets plugged on my boat. It's no problem if water gets in there.

SeriiVolk

Recruit

The plug can come out and never go back in ... that hole never gets plugged on my boat. It's no problem if water gets in there.
Ok, thanks guys. Sorry for the stupid questions but this is my first boat and i don't wanna ruin the engine after spending the last 8 months completely rebuilding the boat. As always your the best.

southkogs

Staff member

The Stringer is a pretty good drive (on the overall). I actually really like the electric shift versions like you and I have - there is some real slick benefits to the shift style, and I still get compliments on how quiet my boat runs.

That said - stay on top of it. The Stringer can be a bit finicky, and likes a lot of attention (they apparently get lonely). Otherwise, it can be a very nice drive that will survive a lot longer than you'd guess.

Enjoy.