Force 85 hp carb issues

tsaa2

Recruit
Just picked up a boat with this outboard on it. Model 856X3L serial number 1521. The engine was loading up at low speed. I have fuel running out of jet type hole on the bottom carb. I pulled the carb off and cleaned out the bowl, checked the float. I am guessing the needle and seat must be bad. Where can I find a kit? WE-4-1 and 582061 is stamped on the carb.

Thank you for any suggestions,

Tony

Jiggz

Captain
Re: Force 85 hp carb issues

If you go to boats dot net (have to spell it out because the forum don't allow ip addresses) and navigate with Force parts you should see all the parts listings. CrowleyMarine is also another online store you can look into although sometimes the parts are also available at this site, iboats. What I do is to locate and verify the part numbers first and check with this site if it is available first otherwise I'll get it from the other sites.

foodfisher

Captain

Rather than guessing and buying parts that may not be needed, why don't you run some symptoms by this group of helpful people and maybe save a buck. My needle had a shelf/groove on it and all I did was sand it smooth.

tsaa2

Recruit

Rather than guessing and buying parts that may not be needed, why don't you run some symptoms by this group of helpful people and maybe save a buck. My needle had a shelf/groove on it and all I did was sand it smooth.

The engine was loading up at low speed. I have fuel running out of jet type hole on the right side above the bowl. I pulled the carb off and cleaned out the bowl, checked the float. i could not blow air by the needle and seat by mouth with the carb inverted. I put it back on and fuel came out the hole while pumping the primer bulb. I couldn't see any imperfections on the needle.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Was the float parallel to the casting when you hold it upside down.

IMG_2765.JPG

Jiggz

Captain

The engine was loading up at low speed. I have fuel running out of jet type hole on the right side above the bowl. I pulled the carb off and cleaned out the bowl, checked the float. i could not blow air by the needle and seat by mouth with the carb inverted. I put it back on and fuel came out the hole while pumping the primer bulb. I couldn't see any imperfections on the needle.

Does the fuel only comes out when priming? It could be that you continue to squeeze the bulb despite being hard enough already. And yes, even with a perfectly working needle and float, gas will ooze out of the vent hole if you continue to squeeze after the bulb gets hard. However, if fuel doesn't ooze out during normal ops then you should be good to go.

tsaa2

Recruit

Does the fuel only comes out when priming? It could be that you continue to squeeze the bulb despite being hard enough already. And yes, even with a perfectly working needle and float, gas will ooze out of the vent hole if you continue to squeeze after the bulb gets hard. However, if fuel doesn't ooze out during normal ops then you should be good to go.

It runs right out while its running also. Why don't the other carbs weep when hard on the primer?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

The needle valve in the bottom carburetor is not sealing, that's why gas is leaking out. The needle valves in the other two carbs are sealing, that's why no gas comes out. Try adjusting the float in the bottom carb just a hair lower. If the needle valve and seat are OK, then that should solve your problem.

This is a common problem if you have the black foam type floats. They aren't as buoyant as they were when they were new 20 some years ago. If you set them to the factory specs, sometimes they don't exert enough pressure on the needle valve to completely shut off the fuel flow.

tsaa2

Recruit

Floats are brass, I'll double check the adjustment and have a better look at the needle. Got a new needle and seat on the way.