Ideas for unobtrusive trolling motor mount on bowrider

DXN

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My boats primary use is water sports and swimming. The main reason I want a trolling motor is redundancy. My home lake has some very rocky shorelines. We love to go boating at night when there's no one else on the lake(no one to help either).

I've seen the removable mounts but they are ugly as hell, don't think I have the mounting space either.

Above my out drive there is an overhang that presents a flat mounting surface underneath
I sketched this up real fast so its not correct just for the concept, I could design it so the board could be removed and it would be almost undetectable.

Untitled.jpg
Untitledbottom.jpg

what are your thoughts?

IMG_20130621_141921_946.jpg

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Ideas for unobtrusive trolling motor mount on bowrider

My only thought is that most trolling motors don't work very well as a pusher - that is why you mount them on the front.

DXN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is it because a boat at slow speed is easier to control from the front. You don't have to balance the boat in front of the "push". What I mean is you don't have to fight the bow trying to come around. What if I drove backward? I've herd is said that a cone or pyramid will give less resistance if its pointed end is facing backward ( like a teardrop with the blunt end forward). If that's true wouldn't it stand to reason trolling or paddling backward is more efficient?

oldjeep

Admiral

Trying to figure out if you are joking. But even if you think that would work (it wouldn't) you would still need to contend with your drive being pushed backwards through the water and the need to be steering that at the same time as you are steering your trolling motor.

UncleWillie

Captain

If strictly for emergency use, and not for "Trolling", Consider a mount that you could clamp on the swim ladder.

The huge Trolling motor that you will need to move a 19 foot 3000# glass boat is going to be impractical to store
along with the two Deep Cycle Batteries it will need.

A small OB might be more practical.

DXN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oldjeep: lol I was half joking, I know how silly it sounds. But supposedly the pyramid thing is true, although I think its different if not fully submerged.

The swim ladder is a good idea, it would be easy. I didn't realize it would take that big of a motor. I'm going to run 2 batteries regardless

DXN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I looked at the Minn kota engine mount motors but man they are expensive

UncleWillie

Captain

The Start and the House Battery should not be relied upon to power the trolling motor.
At least one will not be a deep cycle and if you are dead in the water,
the most common cause is a battery too weak to crank the engine.

Pushing a big boat is going to go better with a 24 volt battery bank if you are trying to keep from being blown into your rocky shoreline.

DXN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so its just impractical, Ill just rely on the anchor to keep me outa the rocks.

I've just been scared scene the 45 Chrysler on my 15' Terry Craft spun a bearing and stuck me and the girlfriend 4 miles from the ramp. I don't think we could paddle this one that far. It gave no warning, never got hot and I had the oil mixed right if not a little heavy.