Hub type ID - help needed

G Learned

Cadet
I recently bought a boat that is sitting on a Tennessee Trailers rig, the owner's manual for which was included in the package. However, that manual talks about "Trailer Buddy axles by UFP", with what appears to be a stainless steel cap and "blue Autocheck rings". As you can see in the photo attached, I have what appears to be a rubber or plastic plug in the center vs a stainless cap. I assume my rubber plug simply pries out, as described for the stainless plug in the manual, but can someone confirm this for me? I hate tearing something up unnecessarily. :embarassed:

Attachments

• Trailer Hub 1.jpg
    Trailer Hub 1.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 0

G Learned

Cadet
Re: Hub type ID - help needed

Your hub looks more like the Vault from Trailer Buddy. http://www.ufpnet.com/Portals/0/PDFs/VAULT%20Brochure.pdf

Agreed... mine is a lot more like the Vault than what is described in the manual. The one in the manual is greasable via zerk under the stainless cap, while the Vault is obviously not. I *think* I'm a happy camper with this setup. In any case, many thanks for your help!

Gary L

DABS

Seaman Apprentice

That, is an oil bath. The Vault would be a solid black piston with Vault inscribed in white across the face. Spin the hub a little more and check for a 3/16" allen socket plug. This will be your fill plug. DO Not try to pry on the piston. You have the wrong manual for your trailer. This is the proper manual..http://ufpnet.com/Portals/0/trailerbuddygoldmaint.pdf. You don't mention what year Tennessee Trailer you have but the Vault debuted in June of 2007. This is the same time your GOLD system was discontinued.

G Learned

Cadet

That, is an oil bath. The Vault would be a solid black piston with Vault inscribed in white across the face. Spin the hub a little more and check for a 3/16" allen socket plug. This will be your fill plug. DO Not try to pry on the piston. You have the wrong manual for your trailer. This is the proper manual..http://ufpnet.com/Portals/0/trailerbuddygoldmaint.pdf. You don't mention what year Tennessee Trailer you have but the Vault debuted in June of 2007. This is the same time your GOLD system was discontinued.

Aha! Yupper, perfect match (see photo). This is a 2006 trailer, so your statement about the Vault introduction in 2007 would dovetail nicely. Still doesn't explain the gun-greasable system shown in my owner's manual, but thanks to your link, we're now good to go in that respect. I'm somewhat relieved to know this is a refillable system, as opposed to what appears to be a non-user-friendly system with the Vault. Especially since I just noticed a fair amount of oil on the inside of the RH wheel. Actually, as I think about it, the complete lack of oil anywhere external to the hub on the LH side may be more bothersome?

In any case, we're off to find some 50W oil... and may as well pick up a couple of rear seals while I'm at it.

Thanks a bunch!

Attachments

• Trailer Hub 2.jpg
    Trailer Hub 2.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You probably need to get seals from TB. I'm not sure if oil filled seals are the same as greasers. The dry seal is most likely the good one. :)

Good find, DABS. I was assuming the white Vault wore off over the years.

G Learned

Cadet

Turns out you were right - the LH side (dry seal) was completely full, the RH side nearly so. The manual talked about slight seepage past the seal being normal, so I was a little concerned about it being completely dry. Good seal, good deal. :)

Thanks again you guys, but I'm not quite done with you yet... stay tuned for a possible thread on surge brakes and back-up solenoids. Gotta finish buttoning up the axle end of the inspection, then I'll tackle that confounded anti-backing mechanism!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

And a belated Welcome to iboats, G Learned.

DABS

Seaman Apprentice

You probably need to get seals from TB. I'm not sure if oil filled seals are the same as greasers. The dry seal is most likely the good one. :)

Good find, DABS. I was assuming the white Vault wore off over the years.

Don't think you were far off. Initial Vault systems used that very protector until the Vault protector came in.