Help identifying v-200

jtecker

Cadet
I have another post here asking for some guidance with some operating problems that I am having. But now that I've gotten into the repairs I have another set of issues because as I'm ordering parts they are not the correct parts. I was led to believe that the engine I bought was a 1989 v-200 Blackmax. But I don't think anything about this motor is a 1989

The block has a date stamp of 10-22-90. There is no normal Mercury serial number anywhere on it. "969-9078-C1" is stamped on the intake manifold just forward of the throttle linkage. "200" is stamped on one of the freeze plugs on top of the block. I found "N621" stamped on the block under the voltage regulator. It has one-piece design heads part number 15221-C1. Based on what I can piece together the block is for a 1990 2.4L 200.

Where it gets weird is everything bolted onto the block seems much older. The cowling is the older two part left & right half design with a clip on cover for the front. It say's V-200 on the back and small "Blackmax" down low on the sides. The sides have that fake leathery tape above and below the Mercury. The choke plate assembly and the exhaust cover plate are both found on the "1988 & older" Mercury parts lists. The carbs are WH with 13746427-0 stamped on them. It has the square diaphragm fuel pump. It appears to have a relatively new CDI 16-amp Stator on it.

I am guessing that the parts are from a much older 200, possibly even the original motor on the boat (it's a 1977 Mako 23) that was then put back together with a 1990 remanufactured head. But I'm not sure. Can anyone provide some assistance with what I'm dealing with here? I'm having stalling issues but can't proceed with any of the tune up procedures until I have an idea of what I have. Thanks VERY much in advance for any assistance you can provide.

jtecker

Cadet
Re: Help identifying v-200

quick update. I pulled the carbs last night for further inspection. Each of the carbs has 46 followed by what appears to be the serial number for the carb. So I presume these are WH46 carbs. Maybe someone knows what year the WH46 carbs were used on the V-200 Blackmax? Thanks again in advance for some help.

jtecker

Cadet
Re: Help identifying v-200

Excellent. Do you happen to know when Merc stopped using the split left/right piece cowling on these?