Hull damage after running board came off trailer..need help

wally gallagher

Recruit
scratch2.jpg Went night fishing and my running board fell off. How do I go about repairing this? Looks like it scratched the hull paint but did not do much primer damage. Can I simply paint over this with hull paint and is it OK to use as is? No cracks just a lot a scratches..Thanks for your help here!

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Hull damage after running board came off trailer..need help

Hello Wally, Welcome to iboats, I see this is your first post . . .

Looks like that running board hung around for a while scratching the hull . . .

Gel coat would be good to use as there is bare fiberglass showing. You do not really want to use it as is. So, repair it before your next outing. You can just buy a small can of gelcoat, and apply it with a brush, then sand to perfection after it has cured.

wally gallagher

Recruit

Rear Admiral, Thanks! I think your right...to much damage just for one night. Almost as if there was a screw protruding through the running board?
What kind of gel coat would you recommend for the hull?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

View attachment 200134 Went night fishing and my running board fell off. How do I go about repairing this? Looks like it scratched the hull paint but did not do much primer damage. Can I simply paint over this with hull paint and is it OK to use as is? No cracks just a lot a scratches..Thanks for your help here!

Well . .. what kinda boat is it ?

Sure dont look like any standard fiberglass damage to me ( too black and hairy )

There is NO hull paint per sey ..

If its above the waterline then yea .. go smack it around some more and you should be advised to have an automatic pump in there.

YD.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I think a couple more pics from different angles might help, you know what you're looking at and where it's located, we can only see what's in the pic. There really isn't anything to show us the size of the spot, plus when I blow it up it's blurry.

wally gallagher

Recruit

Here are 2 more pictures.. Scratches did not hit any fiberglass but scratched a grey looking material under white gel coat. Boat is a 79 ranger bass boat...Can I simply paint and sand white gel coat wax on this area?

Attachments

• scratch3.jpg
    scratch3.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 0
  • scratch4.jpg
    scratch4.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Looks like black barrier coat behind the gel coat, you can can just re-gel coat it. What brand and year of boat is it?

wally gallagher

Recruit

Thanks guys...I purchased a quart of white sea hawk with wax today! It's a 79 Ranger Bass boat