Glastron ( ford 302) alternator

hskerprid

Cadet
Hey everyone! I have a 1972 Glastron with the Volvo 270 drive and the 302. Anyone know the correct alternator to put on it? Is it a single post or a double? Also, I rebuilt the motor and put her in, started it with the drive in a barrel with water. It wouldn't draw water up to the engine so I checked the impeller. It was trashed so I put in a new impeller but it still won't draw water up. Any thoughts? I was told the drive was rebuilt about 7 years ago and it hasn't been in the water for 3 years.

hskerprid

Cadet
Re: volvo penta ( ford 302)

Bueller???......Bueller?????

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Volvo didn't have a 302 Ford in 72. Glastron used their own engines back then, and mated them to Volvo drives.
I have no idea what alternator Glastron used.

I will move this over to the other IO forum, maybe someone with an old Glastron that doesn't visit this forum will see it an know.

hskerprid

Cadet
Re: Glastron ( ford 302) alternator

Glastron used ford 302's and badged them with Glastron valve covers. The block serial matches Ford and the engine shop who magnafluxed it said it was Ford.

Bondo

Staff member

Hey everyone! I have a 1972 Glastron with the Volvo 270 drive and the 302. Anyone know the correct alternator to put on it? Is it a single post or a double? Also, I rebuilt the motor and put her in, started it with the drive in a barrel with water. It wouldn't draw water up to the engine so I checked the impeller. It was trashed so I put in a new impeller but it still won't draw water up. Any thoughts? I was told the drive was rebuilt about 7 years ago and it hasn't been in the water for 3 years.

Ayuh,... The motor, nor the alternator won't care which 1 ya use, so long as it's wired correctly when installed,....

For yer Water flow issue,....
Did ya find All the old pieces of the trashed impeller,..??

My guess is, the old pieces are blockin' the flow,...

hskerprid

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. Impeller to engine is clear but I didn't pull the hose from the drive and blow it out.i did find a lot of old impeller pieces when I first pulled the drive to glass in the new transom.

Are there any gaskets or seals in the lower drive unit that pulls the water up. I was thinking that if there are any breaks in the lower unit up to the hose to the impeller it wouldn't suck the water. Kind of like sucking coke through a cracked straw, it just won't come up.