1977 Mercury 115 hp remote controls

jfisher3

Recruit
I am looking into buying a 1977 mercury 115hp with power trim. The motor runs great comes with extra lower unit extra trim pump and motor stand. The only reason I haven't already snatched this up for the great price he has listed on it is because he does not have the remote controls for it. He also says that the internal wiring harness could be replaced because it is a little frayed. This motor takes the old 7 pin style harness. For the life of me I cant find the controls for it. If any one has advise on what I should be looking for please let me know. Also if any one knows if there is any way to adapt this motor to the newer style 8 pin harness and controls please let me know. This is a great deal and all advise is appreciated. I need all the help I can get asap so I do not miss this deal. Thanks everyone.

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1977 Mercury 115 hp remote controls

With proper wiring diagrams you can make anything work out. That said are you sure that one of the pins isn't simply a redundant one and that they will mesh anyway? Sorry I don't have more experience with them but I can tell you that a controller for a 40HP works great with an 85. I was under the impression that they were pretty well all interchangeable if they're all Merc, but I may be wrong.

jfisher3

Recruit

Thanks for the input. This is what I thought too untill I looked into it and the old style 7 pin looks to be a little different shape where as the 8 pin or I think it's also called a Cannon plug is 7 pins round with one right in the middle. These are the only 2 plugs I could find so most mercury controls are interchanable that plug is the only difference. I'm just not sure if there is any way to adapt these 2 plugs together. What you said about the extra pin could be possible but I don't have the eight pin plug to try it. Anyone have any info to help ease let me know!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The engine wiring harness can be had at various places on the web. Try the surplusunlimited web site.

You can use most any Mercury control to work the throttle and shift cables. It is the electric that has changed. A newer wiring harness can be grafted to make it work in several different ways. Most merc controls from the 70s up to the mid 80s or so should work.

I grafted my '93 merc to the control box from my '77 Merc 1500, which is the same as your motor electrically.

Your motor harness will have two battery cables, ign power, choke solenoid, starter solenoid, tach signal and killer wire. You do not normally use the killer wire on that setup, and the ign is battery powered by the white wire. The PTT wires Red, green, purple and blue were a seperate harness as the PTT pump was in the boat.

njrextreme

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the control with the shift and throttle cables and ignition. I don't have the main cable that goes from the box to the motor though. Let me know if your interested. It is in very nice shape. It is a off a 76 115 merc.