93 Bayliner Jazz - Reverse Gate Woes - Cable Question?

Moxie

Seaman Apprentice
I've recently acquired a 1993 Bayliner Jazz. The outdrive needs a little work before I even dare put it in the lake. THe primary issue is the reverse gate.

It is missing that is referred to as a "Pivot Bolt" on the port side. This attaches the reverse gate to the housing. It sees to be a common thread as I have plenty of bolts that I can use. However, I do need some type of bushing over the bolt in order for it to fit properly. The OEM part is NLA. Has anybody been able to find a working replacement for this bolt? I've looked at the hardware store for something like this but to no avail.

The second issue is with the control cable. The housing split open right at the bracket, exposing the stainless cable. It was obviously stuck at some point and was forced. The boat shifts properly into reverse ad neutral but the gate does not clear the nozzle completely in the WOT position. I'm sure I can probably find a universal replacement but was wondering if anyone had the correct length. Parts websites list cables of every length since they obviously vary depending on the boat. I did open the remote control box and saw a label with "Morse Controls" on it but could not make out the rest. Any leads would be appreciated.

Derek4real3

Recruit
Re: 93 Bayliner Jazz - Reverse Gate Woes - Cable Question?

I too am a new bayliner jazz owner and have the exact same problem and can not find a reverse gate cable anywhere.

ragnar333

Cadet

I have a 1993 Searay Sea Rayder with a sport jet 90 setup, and I went through the same issue locating a cable. Mine is a Teleflex cable, and I was able to find a Teleflex part number on it. I searched the entire earth trying to locate one and only found it at one parts store. The Teleflex number for it is CC21309. It is listed as a jet boat cable, and is 9 feet in length. I installed it and it was a perfect fit. Since the Jazz and the Searayder are very similar boats, this cable may be the one you're looking for.

Brad_Ct

Seaman Apprentice

My 1994 Baja Blast was also a Teleflex cable. I was also able to read the part number on it when I pulled it out. I think you will find that most mechanical parts on these boats are generic parts that are available at most suppliers.

Derek4real3

Recruit

I have a 1993 Searay Sea Rayder with a sport jet 90 setup, and I went through the same issue locating a cable. Mine is a Teleflex cable, and I was able to find a Teleflex part number on it. I searched the entire earth trying to locate one and only found it at one parts store. The Teleflex number for it is CC21309. It is listed as a jet boat cable, and is 9 feet in length. I installed it and it was a perfect fit. Since the Jazz and the Searayder are very similar boats, this cable may be the one you're looking for.
Thank you! Gonna order and try it.

Derek4real3

Recruit

WARNING!

9' is too short!
13' is the length you need. 😡

timmyboy76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i've had great success, giving lengths over the phone or mailing in your existing cable, to Control Cables in Sante fe, Ca.