Why won't my resin set up?

supercab78

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Why won't my resin set up?

I was putting some poly-resin that I thinned with MEK (could not find styrene & on side of can it said it could be used to thin resin, and that it had a slower evaporetion than acitone)The resin that was LEFT OVER IN THE MIXING CONTAINERS did set up. The resin on the wood that soaked in is just a little tacky not hard at all.On the few places where the resin was a little thicker is(about 1/16 of an inch) it is set up a little. It's has been about 40 hours. The temps in the garage have been about 40 to 50 degrees, but it has been very damp out. Can temps and humidity have that big of an effect? I now have a cover over it with a heater and fan blowing to see what happens. If it's not setting up because I didn't use enough hardener what should I try to do? Would it work if I used a spay bottle and misted a hardener on top. Jeff

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Why won't my resin set up?

Can temps and humidity have that big of an effect?
Yes....... Very Much So.......<br />
If it's not setting up because I didn't use enough hardener what should I try to do? Would it work if I used a spay bottle and misted a hardener on top.
If there's Any hardener in it, It'll Harden......<br />Heat will Fix it....<br />No, You Can't add hardener After the fact.......

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Just leave it be, it'll set. In the temps you are dealing with, it could take over a week. I had it happen on my project, took almost two weeks for a section to set, but it did set. Maybe you can tarp it and put a space heater in to bring the temps up, that'll set it up more quickly.

Realgun

Commander

Was going to say do it on the kitchen table but...That stuff will kill ya! I am using epoxy and I do somethings on the kitchen table!

G DANE

Commander

Realgun, I dont think the stuff will kill you, but your wife will. I had it happen too, is a mix of low temp, high humidity and poly that already absorbed water, before hardener was mixed with it. I got new poly and it cured fine under same circumstances. The area that didnt cure, never really hardened totally, stayed a little tacky.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Given enough time the poly will harden in the can. Ultraviolet light from the sun and heat will help speed it up. It will probably harden on its own eventually.

Laddies

Banned

Infared heat light will speed it along

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

thinned with MEK? I thought that was the hardener<br /> you can find styrene at almost any ACE hardware

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

You can use an inexpensive heat lamp to speed up hardening. Same thing they hang over french fries at Mcd's.

supercab78

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After 12 hours with a tarp over the boat and a small heater under it, it did set up. Thanks for the quick responses, it made me feel alot better knowing that it would set up in time. <br /> Jeff

BillP

Captain

Spraying hardner on will do it (commonly done in fiberglass production) but a better way is to mix a small batch of resin with a heavy dose of hardner. 5cc hardner per qt will make it hot enough to kick. I've used up to 40cc to do this in 90F temps and 95% humidity. Just don't leave it in the container too long with this much hardner or fire will happen. Chemical reaction to make it kick is better than external heat.