cutting hole in tansom ?

I have a 19' gama deep v speed boat with a 5.0 liter alpha 1 I/O. I only thing i know about the company is there was about three hundred of the boats made in south Florida when they were shut down for smuggling drug with them. Thats what i was told. The boat was built for a I/O, so i bought a 20' kayot deckboat for the 5.0 engine and outdrive. I only problem is that the hole in the transom is not cut out. So i redid the transom with marine ply and now starting with the stringers that the engine sit on. I not sure if someone makes a templet for cutting the hole or is it all measure and cut. Any tips will be helpful.

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: cutting hole in tansom ?

I doubt that boat was used for smuggling but who knows, they usually use great big go fast boats with multiple big blocks, but who knows, maybe they packed it in there somewhere and the shipped em on a truck.

Bondo

Staff member

What I've done for several Repowers is to cut the "Hole" out of the "Donor" boat,+ Use it as template to find Where the "Hole" needs to be cut........<br />When going from a Big "Hole" OMC, to a Merc., I actually Glass in the outer skin cut from the "Donor"... It's yeilded a beautiful tranisition for me.....<br />Of Course, It takes a bit of Measuring, to get the Height,+ to keep it Square with the Keel...........

So if i place the templet in the center of the boat horizontaly , then measure the distance on the donor boat from the bottom "center" of the boat to the hole. It should be the same distance on the gama even if one boat has a deeper v then the other?

Bondo

Staff member

Generally Speaking................. Ya............... ;) <br /><br />I can't see your project boat, or the donor boat........<br />You'll have to figure out Where the water is going to be at WOT as it exits the back of the transom..............<br />You'll want the Waters Surface to be slamming into the outdrive right at the bottom of the cativation plate, to maybe an inch to a 1"1/2 Below the plate...........<br />It depends on Your hull.....<br /><br />Your headed the Right Way.......