1994 70 HP low idle issue at dock and loading

djockey21

Cadet
I have a 1994 E70tlerv 70HP motor. I have replaced the spark plugs, replaced the intake cover seal as it was messed up. I have sprayed carb cleaner in the carbs. I have unscrewed the carb idle screws and sprayed the carb cleaner in there. I have also took the top flap off the top carb (all I can get too without taking all the carbs off). I have ordered new carb seals and 3 new carbs kits to rebuild the carbs just in case. I am idling at 1000/1100 rpms on muffs so I am expecting I should be idling around 6-800 in the water.

What started me looking at this is when I am at the dock the motor just cuts off when in neutral if I was not idling at 1500 rpms. I can troll the water at 1500 rpms with no issues but as soon as I try to throttle down to dock or load up on the trailer it cuts off and makes it hard to loadup. The motor cuts right back on but still hard.

Now that I have idle down to 1000 rpms on muffs I am going to try the lake when it is not storming to see if that is it.

Does anyone else have any ideas it might be.

Keepi time

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1994 70 HP low idle issue at dock and loading

Sounds like your idle is low. Hard to tell until you set it with a load on it. Try putting it in the water tied off to the dock. Put the engine in reverse, barely and set the idle with it able to stay running. Then make final adjustments in neutral. This should help you.