4.3 gxi-g fuel issues

ktrvfrankb

Recruit
I have a volvo 4.3 gxi-g. It used to start and run fine. Now it runs rough at startup and the idle RPM is down to about 500.
Smoke coming out the back until warmup. Sparkplugs are dry black. Overfueling??? Any help would be appreciated.
There is also a fuel pump whistle at idle. Not sure if this a separate issue. Seems if the fuel pump was weak, it shouldn't overfuel? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 4.3 gxi-g fuel issues

Are you sure it's a fuel pump whistle, or is the sound coming from the air intake in the throttle body. They do whistle.

You need to get it hooked up to a diagnostic computer and see what is wrong. May not set a code if some sensor is just showing a wrong value. Also check the fuel pump pressures.

ktrvfrankb

Recruit

It is the one of the fuel pumps making noise and getting hot to the touch. Would a bad fuel pump cause rough idle and overfueling?

Are you sure it's a fuel pump whistle, or is the sound coming from the air intake in the throttle body. They do whistle.

You need to get it hooked up to a diagnostic computer and see what is wrong. May not set a code if some sensor is just showing a wrong value. Also check the fuel pump pressures.

Don S

It is the one of the fuel pumps making noise and getting hot to the touch. Would a bad fuel pump cause rough idle and overfueling?

I don't see how. Might have the screen plugging up causing the noise, but sure don't see how that could cause over fueling.
Which pump is making the noise, high or low pressure?

ktrvfrankb

Recruit

Not sure which one is which. They are beside each other.
The one making the noise and getting hot is the one on the right if you are looking at the engine from the front of the boat.
I don't see how. Might have the screen plugging up causing the noise, but sure don't see how that could cause over fueling.
Which pump is making the noise, high or low pressure?

ktrvfrankb

Recruit

It is the high pressure pump. I have now replaced the whole pump assembly. New from Volvo.
Now the NEW hi pressure pump gets EXTREMELY HOT after a few minutes of running.
Yikes.

Don S

Hook up a remote gas tank (outboard tank) directly to the fuel filter and see if you still have the problem.