rebuild?

the_anarchy16

Petty Officer 3rd Class
what would be the course of action? 1989 Force 85hp wont hold compression on 1 cylinder. not sure how to fix or how much to pay to have fixed

Jiggz

Captain
Re: rebuild?

Which course of action are you contemplating between the two, fix it yourself with the help of this forum assuming you have the motivation and mechanical inclination to do it or just want an estimate for the repair? For the former, you need to start searching this forum about piston replacements as for the latter you need to confide with Frank or Jerry who are known experts for estimating costs by a repair shop.

the_anarchy16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not sure yet. Have a chance to get a bowrider in great shape for dirt cheap because the motor. Trying to educate myself to whats involved or what it would cost to have done to see if its still a good deal or not

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

In my opinion, if you are going to do the work yourself AND the block is in good enough condition to rebuild, there is NO question: Rebuild it.

However, if you are going to have someone do it for you, many times the economics are just not there: For example, I charge 450 for disassembly and assembly plus parts. Now, A piston is about 125 and boring a cylinder costs around 60 bucks here. Then add in gaskets and incidentals and you are up to at least 700 bucks. HOWEVER, try buying a good running 85 for that price--not so easy. And, If you do rebuild, you now have a known engine.

The engine is dirt simple and almost no special tools are required. If you have 8 regular fingers and 2 thumbs, you can do the work with the help and advice you will get here

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

A shop will sell you a rebuild job for anywhere from 1500$ up.Canada, probably more??
The parts can be bought from some places that will sell you a kit?
Like Frank says the boring,honing can cost anywhere from 60$ to $200.
One huy on here paid $200 cause he was the first one to get his 1 hole bored on a NEW machine.Rip-off!!
Depending on condition of the other cylinders and what your gonna need??
I alway like the feeling from doing it myself.

powerhead kit . com is in Fl.They seem to have everything needed. Not sure of the prices.
Just ask any of the regulars here when you decide to buy parts.
Things like: Wisco piston rings, don't fit anything but Wisco pistons(found out the hard way)The refunded my $ :)

the_anarchy16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

god I wish our prices were anywhere near yours. shope here wants like 3k

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It could be a much more simple issue. Ask the seller if you can pull the head off to inspect the damage to #1. Look at the head gasket, if your lucky.... it may have a break in it causing it to not hold compression. I bought a parts 85hp a while back with the exact same symptoms as yours. Paid $100 for it, pulled the head and found a bad gasket, installed new gasket, compression test registered 135psi on all three.
That said, I got lucky. Most cases with low comp are broken rings/scored cylinders. Again, pull the head before you buy. All you need is a ratchet wrench and a few minutes to do it. Assure the seller that this will not harm anything (because it won't). If #1 cylinder looks bad with lots of scoring, you will know that you need to replace a piston and rebore. If the head gasket is bad you will see it.

Jiggz

Captain

Or if you can borrow a borescope from someone you can inspect the cylinder through the plug hole with minimum efforts and time.

kfouryou

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hear yea, I live in southern Ontario and the guy I talked to wants $135 a cylinder to bore or hone and I have to disassemble the head completely I'm leaning towards a rebuild myself,though I'm not sure on the assembly with the timing