Engine won't start in water but will start on trailer

schneje68

Recruit
My 4.3GL Volvo Penta SX started and ran fine when the boat was put in the water the first time this season. We used it for a few hours, put it back on the trailer, towed it home and flushed it out. It sat for two weeks and was then put back in the water at the boat ramp. The engine turned over, sputtered for 2 or 3 seconds but wouldn't fire after numerous tries. I put the boat back on the trailer, towed it home, hooked it up to a garden hose, it fired right up and ran fine. The exact same thing has happened on two more trips to the boat ramp. The engine won't start in the water but will fire right up when on the trailer when hooked to a hose. This last trip, I tried to start it on the trailer while it was backed in the water at the ramp and no luck but when I hooked it to a hose after returning home, it started right up. Spark plugs and fuel filter have been replaced. Any suggestions?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine won't start in water but will start on trailer

Set the timing with a light.

What's the full model number of your engine. Need all the letters after the 4.3GL or the 10 digit serial number.

schneje68

Recruit

engine model serial.jpg

Model 432BPBYC

Serial T01307430

See attached photo of data plate

Texanatc

Seaman Apprentice

I'm not a boat mechanic, but could be low gas on the thought the angle of boat changes at the ramp versus on a trailer. Maybe the fuel pickup is located up high? Just suggestions, try on a hill with muffs.

Nevermind, I re-read your post. I had it backwards

schneje68

Recruit

Ended up taking boat to a mechanic. After running some tests, he found that the fuel pressure was about half of what it should have been. He replaced the fuel pump which took care of the problem. It started and ran fine when I had it on the water yesterday.