How much battery can I charge off of ont 65amp alternator?

agallant80

Commander
I don't have all of the info on my current battery size with me but I was wondering how much battery I can charge off of the standard merc 65 amp alternator. I have two banks, one house one starting, currently they are the same exact battery in both banks. I was thinking of moving the battery from bank1 to bank2 and having two batterys on bank2 then buying a new battery for bank1. I am just wondering if I can cause damage to the alternator by doing this, giving it too much to charge...

agallant80

Commander
Re: How much battery can I charge off of ont 65amp alternator?

Just thought about it. The current batterys are size 27 in each bank.

OEM alternator will only charge at its full output rate when the engine is running at higher rpms. In order to charge your batteries you would have to run the engine at moderate rpms for a while to fully charge one of your batteries. Not very practical. Best thing to do is charge the batteries completey before going out. Run the boat on the house battery when running and at anchor, and then use the other battery to start when you need to. Once you start then switch it back to the house to charge when the boat is underway. Bottomline is your OEM alternator will charge your batteries but you may run out of gas before you get them there.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't have all of the info on my current battery size with me but I was wondering how much battery I can charge off of the standard merc 65 amp alternator. I have two banks, one house one starting, currently they are the same exact battery in both banks. I was thinking of moving the battery from bank1 to bank2 and having two batterys on bank2 then buying a new battery for bank1. I am just wondering if I can cause damage to the alternator by doing this, giving it too much to charge...

That is done all the time.

Might want to look into the add-a-battery instead of the outdated Off/1/2/Both switch. Then you never run your starting battery down and never have to remember to change the battery switch when stopped and running and starting.

Add-A-Battery - 120A - Blue Sea Systems

agallant80

Commander

The funny thing is I usailly run everything off of bank2 (leave the switch in the 2 position) and only flip over to 1 to use and charge it every now and then.

UncleWillie

Captain

The funny thing is I usually run everything off of bank2 (leave the switch in the 2 position) and only flip over to 1 to use and charge it every now and then.

A perfectly reasonable way to do it!
The Add-A-Battery ACR System would eliminate the need to flip the switch to charge the #1 bank occasionally as it would always be topped up and ready to go.

Why are you adding the third battery?
It doesn't sound like you are having any problem.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Go with the Add a Battery kit. I run two grp. 27 deep cycle batteries with a 60 amp charging system and a full compliment of electronics. No need to mess around with switches. Everything is done automatically.

jhebert

Ensign

If the maximum current that your battery charging circuit can produce is 65-Amperes, that will be the most charging current that can be provided. In order for a battery to accept 65-Amperes of charging current, the internal resistance of the battery must be very low. Typically only premium-quality batteries will have an internal resistance low enough to permit 65-Amperes of current to flow into them.

If you push 65-Amperes for one hour, you will have pushed 65-Ampere-hours of charge into a battery. Of course, in order for that to occur the battery must have a capacity to store at least 65-Ampere-hours of charge. Most batteries cannot store that much charge.

As a general rule, with 65-Amperes of charging current available, the battery itself will be the limiting factor in deciding how much charge can be absorbed. Also, as a battery is re-charged, its terminal voltage rises. As the terminal voltage rises the difference in voltage between the battery and the charging source becomes lower. The lower the difference in voltage, the less current tends to flow. This behavior also will limit the ability of the battery to absorb charging current. It is unlikely that 65-Amperes will flow for more than a few minutes of the charging period.

agallant80

Commander

Why are you adding the third battery?
It doesn't sound like you are having any problem.

When I spend the night at anchor I can kill the battery in bank2. Tv, fridge, anchor light, lights, GPS with anchor drift on etc.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's a perfect reason to have the ACR. Imagine when you drag down 2 batteries and found you forgot to charge the starting battery.
Your engine might crank slow, but if the ecm sees to little voltage, you will not get spark of fuel.

agallant80

Commander

So it looks like I will be moving in the direction of moving the battery from bank1 to bank 2 (they are the same) then adding a new starting battery to bank1 then adding int he ACR kit. Sounds like a nice weekend $400 project. I think I will put it off until the off season. As for now I always have my portable generator or jump pack on the boat.