Need To Replace Ignition Key Switch On 97 150 (S150TXRV)

boatmon345

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need to replace the ignition key switch on my 1997 Yamaha 150 2 stroke (S150TXRV).

It is a 6 terminal type: off-run-start with push to choke. I tried to find OEM replacement but could not identify the part number.
I tried to figure out what each of the 6 terminals are for, and identified 4 of them, but the 2 going to the lanyard kill switch are a bit unclear to me.
IgnitionKeySwitchWiringDiagram_1997Yamaha_S150TXRV_M.jpg

In any event, will pretty much any aftermarket 6 terminal key switch work? Is there any reason why this one wouldn't work?:
Ignition Starter Switch, Merc Screw - Seasense 50031153 - iboats
It even looks darn close to the one that needs to be replaced.

And what does "magneto" style mean?

Thank you very much.

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: Need To Replace Ignition Key Switch On 97 150 (S150TXRV)

If you use the OEM replacement, you will not need to cut wires. Just plug and play

boatmon345

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I couldn't find the OEM replacement. I looked high and low but could not find it listed on any parts diagrams.

I've ordered the Seasense one listed above. Hope I don't have to cut wires, though that wouldn't be a deal-breaker.

Capt Ken

Commander

You was unable to find the switch being its listed on the rigging parts breakdown. Not the engine breakdowns.

boatmon345

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wanted to chime with an update. A week after ordering the above replacement key switch it was delivered. I installed it and there was no rewiring necessary; I just needed to identify each of the terminals on the new switch using a volt-ohm meter, then I realized that codes were stamped next to each terminal:
Presumably:
"B" = battery
"C" = choke
"I" = ignition
"S" = start
And there were two terminals stamped "M" which, through the process of elimination, I attached to the black and white remaining wires that are tied to the lanyard kill switch.

The new ignition key switch works good, and so it looks like I can check this project off of the to-do list.