Strake repair

DBCooper

Cadet
I pulled the boat out yesterday and have apparently pummelled the starboard strake and then noticed some cracking on port side. My plan is to undertake the repairs myself using resin with filler to rebuild/shape the strake, then glass and gelcoat (the exposed hull appears solid the damage is exterior only). Port side I will sand and repair accordingly with what I find. I had more water than usual in the boat this weekend, but nothing horrifying that the bilge didn't take care of in under 20 seconds.

2 questions - I have never done this type of repair before but have been reading up on similar repairs on these forums - anything that I should specifically be wary of, or should take into consideration? I know my plan is quite generic above, but the steps I plan to follow were stolen from an older thread

i would just use a structural thickened resin.

25% resin
30% 1/4 inch short strand
45 % milled fibers...(powder)

catylize the un waxed resin first at 1.5%. then mix in the fillers to the catylized resin....mix well.

spread the filler into the prepped and cleaned area..

make sure to gish the filler into the exposed area.....really push it into the hole.
use the thick filler to make the shape of the chine or strake.

glass the wet layer with 2 layers of 1.5 csm.

let partially cure untill most of the heat is gone form the theromlitic reaction.

glass with another 2 layers of csm. each layer lagrer than the last.

let go to full cure.......

sand and fair.......apply gellcoat sand , fair, polish.

2nd question - I fear given the damage to the port side in the same area, could this have been caused by the outboard bunks on my trailer striking the strakes during unloading/loading? Admittedly I didn't have a chance to line up and inspect the proximity to the strake when I loaded it yesterday, so that will have to wait to another weekend....but I don't powerload the boat and ramp I use is not super shallow, but in my heart I am fearing this is the culprit.

Thanks in advance
DB

Attachments

• IMG950698.jpg
    IMG950698.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG950699.jpg
    IMG950699.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 3

pauloman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Strake repair

I would repair with a kevlar reinforced epoxy putty and white paint

DBCooper

Cadet
Re: Strake repair

It is not the best picture from a lighting perspective (the outboard bunks are hidden in the shadows), but it is looking to me like they are a likely culprit <begin expletive laced rant>

IMG_20110826_134804.jpg