1997 Evinrude 50HP - Starter Spins but Doesn't Engage

dm36415

Recruit
I have searched the forums, so apologies if this has previously been answered.

Recently bought this boat, and until yesterday has worked flawlessly. Went to my boat yesterday and the battery was absolutely dead, wouldn't even turn on any lights (I believe I left my running lights on last time I was out). Didn't know the age of the battery, and knew the trolling motor battery was no good, so I replaced them both, and cleaned the cables.

Unfortunately, the boat would still not start. I pulled off the cover, and could see the starter spin when I turned the key, but the gear did not raise up to engage the flywheel.

I pulled up on the gear (when it was not spinning, of course) and it moves freely all the way up to the flywheel, so it is not stuck in the down position.

I put a charger on the new battery, and it was showing it was charging at 4 amps.

Question is, do I need a new starter, or is this problem indicative of the battery not being fully charged? Since the boat worked fine previously, I am skeptical that these two things (battery died, starter died) occured simultaneously.

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Dave

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: 1997 Evinrude 50HP - Starter Spins but Doesn't Engage

That means you aren't gettin enough amperage to the starter to engage the armature. You ethe have a bad connection, corrosion, or need a starter. Check in that order.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

First of all welcome to iboats :welcome: great to have you aboard...

After reading your comment, it would be extremely hard for your starter to have drained your battery because unless your starter solenoid was engaged, there is zero power going to the starter... I would oil or grease the starter a little and make sure your new batteries are fully charged for starters (no pun intended). Then if you still have battery drain problems, look for shorted rectifier or something like that... You could even have a bad starter solenoid as well, but I don't see your starter as this problem at this point... JMHO! :)

dm36415

Recruit

Thanks folks, I have a feeling that it was that the new battery isn't fully charged.

I'd hate to get out there, replace the starter, and find I still had the same problem.

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to iboats!
If you new battery was pulling 4 amps, it wasn't charged. Let it sit on the charger at least over night on like a 2 amp charge. Then try it again. I'm betting your outboard will start.
If you bought a deep cycle battery, a little more charge time won't hurt it. When I pull mine out of winter storage I charge them for 36 hours minimum.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Yup starter is always the last thing to replace. For some reason a lot of folks on here like to start there :confused:

dm36415

Recruit

I can't thank all y'all enough. The starter, as suspected, was fine.

I charged her up all day yesterday, and she started up just fine.

And by the way, it helped when I connected the other ground wire that I missed when I put the new battery in. D'oh!!!

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I can't thank all y'all enough. The starter, as suspected, was fine.

I charged her up all day yesterday, and she started up just fine.

And by the way, it helped when I connected the other ground wire that I missed when I put the new battery in. D'oh!!!

Yeah that will help every time. :)
Glad you got it running!