replace hub or buy a berrings kit?

brownhunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
my easy loader as you can see is no longer holding greese on the axel. Should I buy a new hub or just the kit? which is easier to do? I see some hubs on ebay for $40 and kits for $15 20. Tire size is a 5.3x12

any input please! :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: replace hub or buy a berrings kit?

seals and bearings should do it.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

since you have to remove the hub to get at the bearing n seal, the difficulty is about the same, that is if you can pry out a seal and tap or press in the new one, clean and repack:noidea: could be the bearings ok just replace the seal:noidea: I would inspect them 1st

brownhunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

are they universal or come in different sizes? i really don't wanna clean all that greese up!! hahaha! Does anyone know if there are any videos on youtube on how to do it? recommend any paticular kit? my boat is a 15ft alum with a 25hp on it. thanks

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

they are standard, I bought mine at advance auto.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

You can just buy another trailer, that way you wont get your hands dirty

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Oh come on, you don't want to clean out the old grease...? Really? What are you going to do next season...? But new hubs again? It is such an easy job to clean the old grease out and install new seals and/or wheel bearings. If you do buy new bearings and seals you are certainly going to have to repack then new ones with grease... However, seals are not standard. That meaning all hubs don't use the same grease seal. So take the old one with you when you go to the auto parts place to make sure you get the exact type. Maybe even take the bearings as well if you are not familiar with good bearings and bad ones. They will be able to look at them (cleaned of course) and tell you if they need replaced. To clean the hubs, get a gallon of mineral spirits (sold at even Wal-Mart) and a bucket and an old paint brush and clean the old grease out and clean them up with the mineral spirits... Use some old rags to get the most of the grease out first. Then use the bucket and mineral spirits to finish cleaning all the old grease out until the hub is clean from any grease. Not a tough job by any standards... :D

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

If trailer hubs are < 10 years old, I would simply remove the hub, clean it up (using old rags and dollar store rubber gloves), then take one hub to a trailer or auto parts store. For example, UAPA type store. With your old hub in hand, they can match new seals for it.

If trailer hubs are > 10 years old with lots of road miles, I would simply remove, clean them up and take to the trailer / auto parts store. I would then replace both hubs. If > 10 years old with low road miles, I'd get new seals for it. And, replace hub at 15 year mark. Unknown to some folks, hubs and leaf spring packs should always be replaced in pairs (on the same axle). Thus, getting matching wear/tear and matching parts on same axle. And, getting same braking ability (if there were brake drum hubs).

Unknown to some, leaf spring packs and hubs should be replaced at 15 year mark. Leaf springs become brittle after 15 years. And after 15 years, the races into the hubs get worn out as well. Some folks push 20 years (depending on miles) but for me, these items get replaced every 15 years. Just like I replace tires every 5-7 years as well.

If uncomfortable getting fingers in grease, simply take to a auto / trailer repair shop. They'll fix it up. But, they will charge you dearly - for this simple DIY task.

Hope this helps.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

It looks like a bearing buddy victim BTW.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

If trailer hubs are < 10 years old, I would simply remove the hub, clean it up (using old rags and dollar store rubber gloves), then take one hub to a trailer or auto parts store. For example, UAPA type store. With your old hub in hand, they can match new seals for it.

If trailer hubs are > 10 years old with lots of road miles, I would simply remove, clean them up and take to the trailer / auto parts store. I would then replace both hubs. If > 10 years old with low road miles, I'd get new seals for it. And, replace hub at 15 year mark. Unknown to some folks, hubs and leaf spring packs should always be replaced in pairs (on the same axle). Thus, getting matching wear/tear and matching parts on same axle. And, getting same braking ability (if there were brake drum hubs).

Unknown to some, leaf spring packs and hubs should be replaced at 15 year mark. Leaf springs become brittle after 15 years. And after 15 years, the races into the hubs get worn out as well. Some folks push 20 years (depending on miles) but for me, these items get replaced every 15 years. Just like I replace tires every 5-7 years as well.

If uncomfortable getting fingers in grease, simply take to a auto / trailer repair shop. They'll fix it up. But, they will charge you dearly - for this simple DIY task.

Hope this helps.

Some how I can't follow your reasoning for changing hubs at 15 year point. You have to understand that the races come with new wheel bearings and therefore get changed when you change the bearings and grease seals. So tell me exactly how the hubs are ruined in 15 years, because I just don't understand... Educate me if you will...I'm serious, tell me so I can understand too...