1970 Bayliner 17 foot

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer
Okay everyone I have used my Bayliner for a few weeks now, and without going to the route of ripping carpet up and replacing all that needs replaced right now which judging by what I have read and what I have inspected my boat is solid. Not gonna assume all though anything is possible.

For now though I want to get rid of that old original carpet and instead of carpet I want a non-skid paint. After I remove the carpet, what do I need to do and what do I need to buy to prepare for a paint substance to be applied. Keeping in mind it will be a exterior (Obviously) type non-skid paint for final overlay. Let me know please! I need to know everything needed for prep up to and after paint. Thanks.

Also I know there are several brands to choose from but what seems to be the best for everyone here in Iboats and the most reliable weather resistant paint. With that being said my boat goes in the Pacific Ocean.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: 1970 Bayliner 17 foot

Personally .. I would roll on some Awl Grip with Griptex.

Follow the recommended prep for Any type of system you end up using.

Just make sure the surface is ONE color before you start putting on your paint/nonskid.

YD.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Personally .. I would roll on some Awl Grip with Griptex.

Follow the recommended prep for Any type of system you end up using.

Just make sure the surface is ONE color before you start putting on your paint/nonskid.

YD.

Yacht Dr.

After looking over what you suggested my concerns are will this stick to existing fiberglass deck? That is if prepped and cleaned properly before hand? I think I read that it will just was not sure if you have any experience with using this stuff. So I rip up existing carpet clean the fiberglass on deck and making sure there are no signs of delam and then roll on the the AWLGRIP with GRIPTEX or do you think there is something that needs to be applied first? Sorry just want to make sure I do this right as I'm sure once I lay it down the only way to succesfully remove it would be pulling deck up.

Also, I know non-skid material not normally prefered method when you have young kids on the deck due to slips and falls on those precious knees but I will also be laying down a removable mat when they are in the boat. I just hate carpet and it tends to get ripped up and faded over the years and prefer to put a solid hard surface down and something easier to hose off.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Yacht Dr.

After looking over what you suggested my concerns are will this stick to existing fiberglass deck? That is if prepped and cleaned properly before hand?

Awlgrip LP will stick if its prepped correctly . .. its nasty good stuff :) ..

I think I read that it will just was not sure if you have any experience with using this stuff. So I rip up existing carpet clean the fiberglass on deck and making sure there are no signs of delam and then roll on the the AWLGRIP with GRIPTEX or do you think there is something that needs to be applied first? Sorry just want to make sure I do this right as I'm sure once I lay it down the only way to succesfully remove it would be pulling deck up.

Its all about prep surface .. if you dont like the surface then dont apply a topcoat ( especially something costly as Awlgrip )

As I suggested . you need the substrate as close as possible to one color. You cant roll out a deck with Patches of dark glass in a few coats.. not normally anyhow .

Also, I know non-skid material not normally prefered method when you have young kids on the deck due to slips and falls on those precious knees but I will also be laying down a removable mat when they are in the boat. I just hate carpet and it tends to get ripped up and faded over the years and prefer to put a solid hard surface down and something easier to hose off.

Welp .. I cant help you there .. if you want nonskid in an Awlgrip nonskid your not going to get your ripped up knees. You will more likely get a toe in the jam or a busted lower jaw from falling on deck when you hit the power than from any nonskid you put on there.

These nonskid suggestions are Passive .. not Aggressive .. Im not suggesting Walnut shells or shards of broken window pain glass for an additive.

What I am suggesting is an additive that is closer to White than other alternatives .. the Grip Tex is White .. it does not Turn Brown when Trafficked .. If you understand ..

YD.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Awlgrip LP will stick if its prepped correctly . .. its nasty good stuff :) ..

Its all about prep surface .. if you dont like the surface then dont apply a topcoat ( especially something costly as Awlgrip )

As I suggested . you need the substrate as close as possible to one color. You cant roll out a deck with Patches of dark glass in a few coats.. not normally anyhow .

Welp .. I cant help you there .. if you want nonskid in an Awlgrip nonskid your not going to get your ripped up knees. You will more likely get a toe in the jam or a busted lower jaw from falling on deck when you hit the power than from any nonskid you put on there.

These nonskid suggestions are Passive .. not Aggressive .. Im not suggesting Walnut shells or shards of broken window pain glass for an additive.

What I am suggesting is an additive that is closer to White than other alternatives .. the Grip Tex is White .. it does not Turn Brown when Trafficked .. If you understand ..

YD.

I totally understand, and coming from a USN Sailor I know all too well about Non-Skid being on a ship. So I just wanted to be sure the grittyness and agressiveness wasn't comparable to that type, that is if you know what I'm refering to.

Thanks for your help I will maybe call that company and ask them what they recommend as a cleaning solvent to the fiberglass prior to applying AWLGRIP with Griptex.

:)

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

I also know another option may just be to put down a one piece vinyl deck, having someone take the appropriate mesasurements before cutting the material so it will run up my bulkheads as well.

Will try to let you guys know what I find out as well as before and after photos.