Tiller gear lube 9.9hp?

loose rivet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just spent a week freeing up a badly frozen tiller and gears. Every least part was seized from years of sitting.
What is the correct grease or lube for the plastic gears where they ride in the lower pan and bracket? Apparently it had nothing there since the aluminum corroded and stuck the gears. Lots of soaking, tapping, and finally honing out the holes again got them to fit properly, but I don't want to do this again in a few years.

loose rivet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Tiller gear lube 9.9hp?

Is there anything in particular that won't wash away or dry out? What ever they used before was gone, it was bone dry. The aluminum had gotten powdery white and locked tight to the gear shoulder. I used a brake cylinder hone to clean up the housing. To my surprise, it needed no parts at all, everything cleaned up and looks fine. I had figured that by the time it all came free I'd be hunting down a set of tiller gears.
I've got a few more that are locked up just the same, so it seems a common problem when these sit?

The rest of the motor was fine, it runs like a new motor, I just couldn't turn the throttle handle.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you use anti-seize make sure it is not the copper based type. Aluminum & copper properties do not mix well, (pitting will occur) I like to use a low temp lithium grease or brake caliper grease.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Anti corrosive grease will not wash away UNLESS someone washes the engine down with mineral spirits or some such substance. I strongly suspect that this is what has taken place.

Note that anti seize has it uses/purposes and I use it also BUT it is not to be used a lubricant for moving parts.

loose rivet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was thinking of using Superlube grease?
Its a silicone based grease.
I didn't even think about Never Seize, but I figure it would just make for a real mess when handling the motor on and off the boat. That stuff gets everywhere too easily.
The tiller handle bushings, tiller gears, and actuator gears all need lube of some sort.
What did the factory use?
Most greases marked 'anti-corrosive' are marked 'not for lubrication purposes'.
I did see a few high temp or high pressure rated never seize lubes listed as being for antiwear, anti corrosion, and lubrication but most are metallic based.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The factory uses "Anti Corrosive" grease as I suggested. And yes, NeverSeize is good stuff but does make a mess when handling.