Putting new floor over ols one? GLS 195 Sea Nymph

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class
My new boat has some dryrot in spots I was thinking of screwing a new floor ontop the old, so i can use for a year or tow...as i havge no time for a removal right now. I have a sea nymph gls 195 great lakes special tin boat

Ideas?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Putting new floor over ols one? GLS 195 Sea Nymph

Aluminum boats are much easier to work on than fiberglass, and the job will get done much quicker too.

The way I see it, if you have time to use the boat you have time to work on it... and if you have money to buy fuel for it to run it around on the water, you have money to repair it properly.

Putting new decking in a tinner isn't that big of a deal and will only take 1 day longer to remove the decking than it will to cover the old decking up. Covering the old decking up is just going to add more weight and slow your boat down.

There are a few people on this forum who are guilty of making a career out of their boat projects. Although, I do appreciate that they take so long they can document in great detail. The truth is replacing the floor only takes 2-3 days. You can rip apart the boat & pull out the floor in a day. 2nd day trace the old floors onto your new plywood & cut it and put on your first 2 coats of paint or epoxy. Take 30 minutes on another day and add another coat of paint. Then take a 3rd day to screw/rivet the board down & put everything else back together.

I really don't see how you're saving yourself any time by screwing a floor on top of your crappy floor. I would go back during the winter time. Take out the floors you put in. Take the foam out/water-test/coat-it or gluv-it the rivets. Then put your floor back down. You'll then find out that it costs you $10 less in gas each trip than it costs you now because you're not hauling around any water.

beckoning

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not a boat rebuilder or rebuild hobbyist. I've replaced 2 plywood floors in tin boats. One was a 18' Starcraft center console (extemely easy), and the other a 19' Sea Nymph GLS (a little harder). Putting a floor on top of a floor may seem like a good idea, but it is not for too manypractical reasons to go into here. I used high grade exterior 5/8" plywood (not marine), traced it using the old flooring, painted the cut pieces twice on both sides and edges, and installed it with ss screws. I glued down and stapled at the edges a thick synthetic sheeting used to cover concrete patios (ie UV resistant). Do not, repeat, do not, just put a new floor on top of an old floor. If you have the skill to do that, you have the skill to replace the current floor.