97 115 mariner wot surges

97procraft502

Recruit
As the title reads I have a 97 115 mariner, it idles fine most of the time and if it starts jumping I tilt up it goes away. But as I start to go full throttle I can get out of the whole and to about 100 yards and it will start surging to where it almost or does kill itself. I had my brother pump the bulb and it would run better for the most part but as soon as he stoped started going crazy again.

I was told that it was

1) carburetor
2) stator
3) fuel pump
4) clogg

Just at a loss.
Any help would be nice. Thank you.

JDusza

Ensign
Re: 97 115 mariner wot surges

Problem is fuel delivery starvation at high speed as proven by squeezing the fuel primer bulb.
Stator advice is way off the mark; evidence? The engine runs. If it was the a stator you'd have unreliable spark at any throttle position and performance wouldn't change with engine tilt. A new mechanic is in order.
Fuel lines, fuel pump, carburetor inlet valves sticking, incorrect carburetor float position.
Sounds like the carbs are varnished. When's the last time this thing ran?
You may be able to isolate the bad carb by putting your hand over the inlet venturi on each carb, one at a time, essentially choking the carb. If performance changes and engine starts to die, then that carb is working. If you block the intake and get no change, then that carb is not working effectively.
First step, clean all carbs.
Good luck,
J

Andy_1602

Cadet

I would check to see if the primer bulb check valve is working first. Sounds like a vacuum leak in the fuel line. Engine is starving for fuel. Next I would check fuel pump. A bad fuel pump diaphragm would cause your problem. Next carbs cleaning, floats and neddle jets set and/or replaced.
I don't believe in luck just God and patience, Andy

97procraft502

Recruit

It ran perfect memorial weekend, until I came across the main lake and hit some bigger waves from other boats and then it started acting up. But I'll check everything out

Mygreenihc

Seaman Apprentice

I have the same issue with mine. My issue does not seem to be quite as pronounced as yours. Since my issue has not yet been resolved, I obviously can't tell you how to fix it, but I will watch this thread and when I do get mine fixed, I will tell you what was done. I have a thread on here about this, but haven't gotten much response on it. Below is my thread on another forum where you can check the responses from some other guys if you are interested.

1996 Mercury 115 surging at higher RPM's

Hope you get it running correctly soon,
Good Luck,
Brad

97procraft502

Recruit

Thanks ill check it out. It's just aggravating lol. Hate rescuing parts and spending money in something that might fix it.

Mygreenihc

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, me too. Everybody is telling me that I need to tear my carbs down again. Oh joy...

If yours started acting up only after hitting a series of big waves, you may have just knocked something loose. You also could have dislodged something in the fuel line that went straight into your carbs.

Good luck with the hunt.
Brad