1971 60 H.P. Evinrude Model 60173 E My One I'm Sticking To - I promise

IWishMyBoatRan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok, I have several threads, and it was getting confusing, so I'm starting this one and promise to stick to it from now on when dealing with this engine. Thanks to durban, F_R, Joe Reeves, boobie, Watermann, TrueNorthist, JB, nwcove, pn, and 71Windsor with helping me with this.

Run down of what has happened..

Bought non-running 1971 60 H.P. Evinrude Model 60173 E. Was told the coil was bad (it doesn't have a power pack).

Replaced the coil, it fired up and ran, but idled real rough.
Had a problem with the shift, thanks to durban and F_R for helping me with that.

Took it out to the lake, it bogged down on me and died.

Replaced ALL fuel lines.
Replaced fuel pump.
Rebuilt carbs.
Did the link & sync

Had a compression test done on it, 1 - 90, 2 - 110, 3 - 120
Had a spark test done, the guy said I was getting great blue spark.
Did a complete defog with 1 gallon of gas/oil mix + 3/4 bottle of sea foam.

Replaced spark plugs with those champions that Joe suggested.

It will fire and idle now..
But my main problem is adjusting the carbs.
I went to adjust them like the popular write up Joe has, but only the bottom carb (#3) is responding.
I have each one lightly seated, then backed out 1 1/2 turns.
Then I start the engine with idle and start to adjust the center carb 1/8 in. Doesn't respond. So I turn it in more, nada..
Same with the top one. Only the bottom carb responds.
Now I can put my fingers over the top carb intake and it will spit fuel on my hand, same with center carb.
Bottom carb will die instantly if I put my fingers over the hole.

Why is that only the bottom carb responds?

IWishMyBoatRan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1971 60 H.P. Evinrude Model 60173 E My One I'm Sticking To - I promise

I think the top cylinder rings are stuck.

natemeins

Seaman
I just had a similar issue with my '71 50hp Evinrude. Idle was ok, but would not transition to high power. Spat fuel out the intake. Tore the carbs back down again, turns out the floats were on upside down and float drop was WAAAY too much...like it should've been 1-18" to 1-5/8", mine were well over 2"! Reinstalled the floats properly, set needle seat with float parallel to carb body, adjusted tang on float to set float drop, and took it back out again. NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE!!! FWIW...

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nate, this topic has been inactive for over 2yrs. Please refrain from posting into old topics after 90days of inactivity

If they havent got it running right yet, not likely to.

Thanks