Rebuilt carbs on 72 Evinrude 50hp, installed, now won't run for more than two seconds

kippstakes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hello. recently cleaned a FILTHY carb set on my Evinrude 50hp, new seals etc. just got the motor a few months ago and wasn't sure what they looked like inside.. glad i checked, kind of. put the buggers back on today and it won't run for more than a sputter- without full choke i get nothing. coincidentally, the engine ran pretty well before i rebuilt them and cleaned gobs of slop out (i will try to attach pics, for your enjoyment).
fuel delivery to the carbs SEEMS solid. checked each float bowl and they seem to be filling properly. everything's tightened down and all seals are new, and holding. bulb pumps fine and becomes firm quickly. air in the line maybe? not really sure what to look for at this point, and don't want to wear my battery down cranking the crap out of her.
suggestions??

thanks

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 0
  • download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 0
  • download (2).jpg
    download (2).jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 0
  • download (3).jpg
    download (3).jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 0

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: Rebuilt carbs on 72 Evinrude 50hp, installed, now won't run for more than two sec

When I do a carb Jo I do a fuel system overhaul. Wouldn't it suck if you had a dirty fuel pump that lodged some gunk into our newly rebuilt carbs? If it were me I do fuel lines, and fuel pump and then try again. But I have been stuck on the water a time or two. Now I try and take every step possible to prevent that from happening. Check all your fuel line connections and vacuum lines. I had a vacuum leak in an '84 rude and it ran like crap until I found it.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: Rebuilt carbs on 72 Evinrude 50hp, installed, now won't run for more than two sec

Oh and make sure your carb bowls are real tight and that your carbs are seated tightly onto the block!!

kippstakes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds good, i'll check my lines etc. thanks for the advise!