340 mercruiser coolant out exhaust

jlowers

Recruit
Closed (salt water cooled) system, heat exchanger ok. Isolated each side and when coolant is poured into each sides respective hose from the heat exchanger (actually the return coolant line), coolant goes out exhaust purely by gravity.

Replaced one riser and still leaks. I presume that sides manifold is bad and the other sides riser and or manifold is also leaking.

Is there anything I may be missing before we replace both manifolds and riser?

Thank you.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 340 mercruiser coolant out exhaust

does it cool the manifolds with A/F also? Then you need blockoff plates or blocked off riser gaskets to keep the A/F apart from the salt water leaving the HE

jlowers

Recruit

does it cool the manifolds with A/F also? Then you need blockoff plates or blocked off riser gaskets to keep the A/F apart from the salt water leaving the HE

Thank you but I'm confused, the engine has been fine for quite a while till now. We thought it was a bad riser so we pulled the starboard riser off and replaced it. The ss gasket had the openings to allow coolant into the riser so we replaced with same. How can that be wrong after running so long with no problems?

Thanks again

alldodge

Staff member

Have a pic's and show which hose your pouring A/F in

jlowers

Recruit

Have a pic's and show which hose your pouring A/F in

I'll do that soon.

Every thing I read says I need a stainless steel separation plate which makes sense BUT,

We replaced a riser, it only came with a new slotted stainless plate and the old riser was also slotted. How could we run for a year with a slotted plate if solid was required?

Thx

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

If your He cools the exaust manifolds and your HE waste water cools the risers you need to block them off.There are no slotted SS plates only solid ones. You can use aany slotted gasket, then the SS block off plate, then another slotted gasket.see page 5
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/81/81_14.pdf

jlowers

Recruit

If your He cools the exaust manifolds and your HE waste water cools the risers you need to block them off.There are no slotted SS plates only solid ones. You can use aany slotted gasket, then the SS block off plate, then another slotted gasket.see page 5
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/81/81_14.pdf

Thank you, you are correct. When we pulled a riser off it did not have a solid plate, it was slotted, also the new riser came with a slotted stainless plate. Apparently when the mechanic put new manifolds and risers on last year he did it wrong on both sides! We have been running for over a year mixing coolant with salt water! No wonder we had coolant loss and overheating:mad:

Installed two new blocking plates and all is well.

Thanks again for your time.
JJ