Alpha Sterndrive goes in Reverse but not Drive! New, please help.

I have a 1973 Aristocraft mercruiser 165hp I/o with a (pre alpha?) outdrive.

I recently bought this as my first boat and was told all it needed was a shifter cable ( from the shifter to the engine. It was freyed at the shifter side) I recently had the replaced by a local marina along with the throttle cable just cause he had it all apart.

I put the boat in the water and it would not go forward. It Revs up and the throttle sticks a little, but it will go in reverse with no problem. I took the boat out of the water and brought it home to find a little water in the engine oil. I put muffs on and it started and still would not go in drive ( prop would not spin ) but would go in reverse ( prop spun fine )

I friend that was with me said I had a right side exhaust leak. Could that cause water in the engine? Or did the engine just overheat when it lost drive and blew the head gasket?

My main issue is- after reading a whole bunch of threads here,

How to determine what's wrong causing it not to go into drive.
The prop was damaged as if it had hit a rock.

I am about to pull the whole outdrive off the boat but do not want to have to pay a marina again if I can avoid it.

Thanks for your hell guys!
-John

Re: Alpha Sterndrive goes in Reverse but not Drive! New, please help.

I also replaced the outdrive oil already and it was yellowish with no metal in it.

Welcome to Iboats..... OK let's start off with the correct name of your drive, if it's the original from '73 it is a MC-1, not Pre-alpha.

The lower shift cable is new and won't go into forward? Did you try and remove the cable from the shift bracket at the engine, and without changing adjustments on it, push it and see if the drive goes in forward? With engine off, the prop will be locked CCW (while your facing the bow)
It may be not adjusted correctly, or something else but an easy first test.

What drive lube are you using? it should be greenish.

Thanks Eric! I am using a 80-90 weight gl-5 oil for the outdrive, not sure what was in it prior.

I did just try to do as you advised and took the lower shifter cable bracket off and pushed and pulled a bit, checked the prop and it felt/sounded the same as with using the actual shifter. It does not lock, and it makes a little clicking noise when turning the prop ( not like when left in gear in reverse )

Thanks for your help, is there any other little tests that I might be able to do to check it out?