1989 Force 125 HP L Drive Exhaust Hose

BlueFishCrisis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I burned through the exhaust hose in the engine compartment of my 89 Bayliner. It has the 125 HP L Drive. I pulled the exhaust manifold and found debris clogging the stinger that keeps the pipe / hose wet. Compression is in the 130s to 140s in all holes. Cleaned it all up, ordered a new gasket, and am getting things ready to re assemble. Question is - Can I use a piece of radiator hose to replace the one with a hole in it? The size and construction are the same, but the wall thickness is a little smaller....??

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1989 Force 125 HP L Drive Exhaust Hose

You probably can but it won't last as long. It would be better to use marine exhaust hose. It is designed for this application and is available.

BlueFishCrisis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also, while looking at the parts break down for the replacement exhaust gasket, the replacement indicated shows a flat exhaust cover plate, gasket, exhaust plate, gasket. My manifold is not arranged like this. There is only a single gasket. Any idea why?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Starting in 1992 looks like they did away with the stainless steel exhaust baffle which required a gasket on each side. Not sure for the reason, but it probably had something to do with the water circulation.

Here is a break down of what they started doing in 1992. They eliminated the plate. They call it a 120 L-Drive instead of a 125 L-Drive, but it is essentially the same motor as the 1989 with a slightly shorter stroke on the crankshaft and possibly slightly larger diameter pistons. P/N's for the exhaust cover itself are the same, but the gaskets are different.

Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. - POWER HEAD - FORCE 120 H.P. "L" - DRIVE "B" MODELS

I suspect that some previous owner or shop has changed your 1989 set up to the 1992 version, or replaced your 1989 power head with a 1992 or later one. If you're replacing the gasket, use the one for the 1992 set up ( kind of pricey though :eek:).

BlueFishCrisis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks - I was looking through all the 1989 models to see if something changed there. This appears to be the same part..... The power head is an 89, based on the model number stamped on it, so the exhaust plate must have been changed at some point as you mentioned....

Thanks for the quick response!

BlueFishCrisis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is an interesting follow up.... The exhaust manifolds on the 89 and 92 are in fact different part numbers, as is the hose that I wound up destroying. Just received a NOS OEM exhaust hose with the part number still attached (the PN for the89) and it is the wrong size. Checked out the exhaust manifold part numbers and they are different. This is turning into a bit of a mess. The exhaust manifold does have a sticker on it that states the motor has been updated based on the L drive field campaign of 1992. They must have updated the exhaust at that time as a recall and/or update. I guess I'll have to source some exhaust hose locally as USED replacements are $50 on ebay.....

BlueFishCrisis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got the gasket, exhaust manifold, and exhaust hose installed and everything checks out, back to normal operation.

Thanks!

BlueFishCrisis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, as it turns out, I managed to burn the inside of the exhaust bellows as well. This is becoming one costly impeller mistake.... They are available new for around $250, but I am going to try and source some 3" ID corrugated flexible wet exhaust hose instead.......

ezalarm

Recruit
quote " Starting in 1992 looks like they did away with the stainless steel exhaust baffle which required a gasket on each side. Not sure for the reason, but it probably had something to do with the water circulation. " mine only have one gasket but I end up buying the exhaust baffle and gasket on each side is this still ok or should I go back to single gasket ? thanks !

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
quote " Starting in 1992 looks like they did away with the stainless steel exhaust baffle which required a gasket on each side. Not sure for the reason, but it probably had something to do with the water circulation. " mine only have one gasket but I end up buying the exhaust baffle and gasket on each side is this still ok or should I go back to single gasket ? thanks !

Please look at the Help Tip on top of the page and start your own thread. Thanks.